Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Sheryl Elliott, Blog Post 2, Section 2 Why Not? What Works? Miller

     According to the article, independent reading has many benefits.  Improving fluency and comprehension and increasing reading achievement are just two of the benefits that stood out to me.
     Why has it been taken out of the classroom?  I know for me, it’s time and lack of motivation for the kids.  I always feel like it’s such a struggle to get the “non-readers” to read during silent reading time.  The stronger the reader, the more they will read in class.  It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that the more a child reads; the better the reader!  But how do we make this practice effective in our classrooms.

     The article gave several good suggestions on what practices are critical for effective independent reading.  Classroom time to read is very important.  I am finding ways this year to plug this in as much as I possibly can.  Student choice is another important part of an effective independent reading program.  I think student choice still has to be monitored, though.  Some students just need more guidance in choosing books than others.  I’m trying to make sure I know what my students’ interests are so I can help them choose good books.  Giving the students a purpose for reading is another important part of an effective independent reading program.  I have implemented this in my classroom this year more than I ever have before.  It seems to be working!  I think one of the most important parts of an effective independent reading program is teacher conferencing.  I’ve completed more conferences this year than I ever have.  I truly know my students as readers, and we’ve only been in school for three weeks.  I have been able to steer students toward books that are appropriate for them.  They love talking to me about their books.  I love hearing about them too!  I also love the spark in their eyes when they talk about how good the book is or how it made an impact on them.  

2 comments:

  1. Sheryl, I love how you are working to find more time for IR in your classrooms. Most importantly, you are making that time more effective by giving them a purpose. Your conferences are letting your know about them as a reader, as well as fostering relationships with them! I can't wait to hear about all your fifth graders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheryl,
    I appreciate how you are using what you are reading from the articles and our course texts to influence your instruction. You mentioned how you are implementing more time for independent reading, more student choices, and more conferencing. How are you providing students with guidance for their choices? I know you mentioned that you want to find out their interests so that you can help encourage them to make good choices with their book choices. With three sections of students I know that can be tricky to manage. What strategies have been helpful to you? I appreciate how you are also providing your students with a purpose for reading as well. Do you do this for each class through a mini-lesson? Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete