Monday, August 31, 2015

Jinger Willard Blog 1 (Aug.) Miller: Is There Enough Time and Is Time Enough?

“What benches are you guarding?”  This question from Miller’s first section really stuck with me and made me think about some of the instructional and management practices in my own classroom.  We are always looking for more time in the day for not only reading, but for just about everything.  What do we do as a school, grade level or as individual classroom teachers out of routine and tradition versus what is most important in terms of students’ needs?  At what point do we determine that the routine can change because the students get it or because there is a more effective way to spend that time?  We must be open to new ways of thinking and not get stuck in the trap of doing things a certain way because that is the way they have always been done. 


Although I am responsible for teaching math and science to my students this year, I believe I am still their reading teacher as well.  It is important that my students know I value reading as much as math and science even though I don’t have the title of “reading teacher”.   I strive to instill the importance of reading in my students no matter what subject they are engaged in learning.  I want them to know that reading is the overarching skill that ties all learning together.  My challenge will be in finding the materials and time to do this in an effective manner.  This is where evaluating my own instructional and management practices begins.  What benches can I stop guarding?

3 comments:

  1. I agree-I am looking closer at the benches I am guarding in my room this year. It is amazing how many "benches" are not worth guarding when I really analyze my day. My goal this year is to cut out all those needless benches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jinger, I so agree! As teachers we often get stuck into a routine and when we look at changing things we have always done it can make us feel uneasy. I love how you are willing to take a close look and are willing to change for the betterment of your students! I can't wait to hear what benches you decide to stop guarding and how it changes what you do in your room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jinger,
    I appreciated the question you asked from Miller's text about, "What benches are you guarding." When searching for more time to be able to implement research based strategies and structures like independent reading or writing workshop I've had to closely look at my schedule and existing time takers to determine not only what is taking up time, but why I am doing it. Doing this has helped me shorten morning work and add in brain breaks. It's helped me figure out that my mini-lessons are too long and my student time to read is too short. Taking time to closely look at where we are and where we want to go can help us make gains. Sincerely, Dawn Mitchell

    ReplyDelete