Thursday, August 27, 2015

Nicole Brown Blog Post 2 (Sept.) Kidwatching article/“Watching and Listening to Children Read”

          The purpose of this article written by Dorothy Watson is to show teachers how they can use their own personal observations of their students to uncover how they respond to varies types of texts. I think often we as teachers rely heavily on test data to drive our instruction. I believe data-driven instruction is important, but we also need to be looking at observational data as well! No one knows a student better than their teacher, and her observations can be so much more informative than a number on a page.
          Miller encourages the use of pre-reading questioning to provide “information on which to make decisions about classroom organization, and (it) reveals students’ judgments if their own abilities to handle the assignment.” Using this techniques will allow teachers to know which students are ready for independent reading, those who may need small group or partner assistance, or may possibly need to work with the teacher individually.
          I love how Miller believes that we as teachers should “find out what a kid is trying to do and help them do it.” Often I find myself so focused on finding out what the student cannot do that I neglect to focus on where they are right now…including what they already know how to do. If we are focusing on what they can do we can build on that!

          My favorite words from Miller came at the end. I really think she puts things into perspective when she says, “no two snowflakes, popcorn kernels, or children are exactly alike. Therefore, to watch, enjoy, and describe snowflakes, popcorn kernels, and kids, a variety of devices (are) needed that can be used flexibly, and in the case of snowflakes and kids, FAST!” I believe this to be true. We need to base our lessons on the strengths of the students and learn from their reading mistakes. We should use them as clues to solve the mysteries of the readers we teach! 

4 comments:

  1. YES.... teacher observation on listening & seeing the interest of the students is very important & can make a difference in so many unforeseen ways. I feel connection to students in their lives then making that a conversation with the child can then help lead into guiding reading instruction for that child. I too agree that the pre-assessing a student's interest & their reading level is critical to know as the teacher to use how to challenge the child & begin their reading development.I want to continue to be involved in my students in the Horizons program to help communicate & be a part of their reading discoveries. I love to read myself & adolescent books are some of my favorites. I hope to use my love of reading to share books with my horizon students. The quote is great to remember...even as teachers we are not alike but all want the same for each child; which is success & love of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post! The quote that you shared is so true and it really helps to conceptualize that fact! Now when I look at my room full of students I will see a room full of little snowflakes. ☺ I agree that sometimes it is easy to first see areas where students are struggling rather than areas where they are doing well. I hope to work on building off of my students’ strengths, as you mentioned, rather than looking at their weaknesses. I absolutely love what you wrote about using the students as “clues to solve the mysteries of the readers we teach”. Teaching reading is certainly like solving a mystery because every student comes to us with a different reading history for us to uncover. That is something that I think can make teaching difficult, but also so exciting! When you solve that mystery and see that student grow it is one of the greatest joys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really hit home when you talked about how we spend so much time focusing on finding out what a student can't do rather than building on what they can do. I definitely find myself falling into this pattern of assessing students. I agree that observing students is a crucial piece in understanding our students' strengths and areas of need. I have learned so much just from watching and listening to my own child who struggles with finding the joy in reading. This brings into focus how necessary it is for me to rely on observational data as well as test data when planning differentiated instruction for my students. The observational data gives a much more personal picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Data is not just high-stakes testing. Data comes in all kinds of forms, and observational data (in my opinion) is the most important because it deals with the actual child's actual performance in an actual classroom on a daily basis!!

    ReplyDelete