Monday, August 31, 2015

Sheryl Elliott - Blog 1- Miller, Not This, Section 1

     Many points in the article stood out to me and made me really analyze the way I teach reading.  The first point that was mentioned is that children learn to read by reading.  Just like learning to ride a bicycle, learning to read takes practice.  The practice cannot be effective without the correct tools needed for instruction.  That is where I come in.  The tools do not have to be elaborate.  Me, students, and books….that’s all it takes.  Throw in an effective and engaging mini lesson, and students have everything they need to be a good reader.  No more reading until the timer goes off!  Students have to have a purpose for reading. 
     Another valid point mentioned in the article is how conferencing enables a teacher to really know her students as readers.  Without conferencing how can I know my students as readers?  Also, how can I know the students are really reading?  I also learned in the article how important conferencing is so that I will know that my students are reading books that fit them just right!    “Unguided choice and lack of monitoring can mean that students see struggle while reading as their own permanent deficiency.”  This statement made me feel so guilty.  How many children have sat in my classroom and felt like this? 

     Reading independently is not enough!  Effective reading instruction takes instruction, books, students, teacher, conferencing, and time!  Room 112 will have plenty of this during this school year!

3 comments:

  1. I also loved how Miller simplifies what kids need for reading. No fancy flipcharts, no magic wands, just the teacher, the kid, and some books! As a teacher, isn't that like taking a load off of your shoulders? I agree they need guidance, but once they have the right book- within their reading range (or at least close!) and one matched to their interests, all they need is a good spot to sit down and READ! On Thursday, we will do a book pass activity that could help your students decide what they will read next so they have plenty of books waiting in the wings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That article made me take a second look at how I teach reading as well. I have been guilty of doing that okay lets stop, and lets just take the time a quietly read for a certain amount of time. The students do need to know that point of reading, by starting of with a great mini-lesson you are all set for having the students engaged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheryl,
    I really appreciated the points you brought up in this post. You are right - providing time for independent reading is important, but time alone doesn't ensure that it is effective. It is a combination of consistent time, but also a structure that provides instructional support and scaffolding through mini-lessons and modeling and also feedback that informs both the student and the teacher and results in targeted growth for the student and relevant assessment data for the teacher to help guide instruction. Thank you for all you do for our students! Sincerely, Dawn Mitchell

    ReplyDelete