Sunday, August 30, 2015

Varley Blog #1 Routman Ch. 3 - Share Your Reading Life

Reading this chapter from Reading Essentials by Regie Routman allowed me to really analyze who I am as a reader and how that can affect my students as readers as well. Routman shared many wonderful ideas that I would love to bring into my classroom in order to build a community of readers who actually enjoy reading. I think that sometimes I can become caught up in making sure that my students are informed about all of the important aspects about reading that I can forget that reading is also something that they need to take pleasure in. This chapter reminded me not to make reading a chore for my students with endless record sheets keeping track of how many minutes and pages they read, but instead to find what interests my students and help them to explore those interests through reading.
            I loved the idea of having students give weekly “book talks” to share what they are reading during independent reading time and give book recommendations to their peers. This is such a meaningful way to share our reading and begin building a reading community. If a student sees that one of their friends in class really enjoyed a book it might inspire that student to read that book as well. This will help to build excitement around reading and anticipation to get to the books on their “books I want to read” lists.
            Routman also highlighted how important it is to model how to read to students. Not only do students need to know that we are readers, which they can learn through our talking about what we are reading in our free time, but also how we read. Read alouds and think alouds are so important in order so show students how to read with a purpose and discourage “fake” reading that can often be seen during reading time.

            I am excited to bring these ideas into my classroom and to continue reading Routman’s book to gain even more insight into how to help my students become readers who enjoy reading.  

1 comment:

  1. I agree that sometimes we get so lost in teaching students all the skills associated with reading that we forget that our ultimate goal is for them to enjoy reading for pleasure! I like that you are willing to try out doing book talks with your students. I cannot wait to hear how that goes in your classroom. I believe it will not only assist with adding books to their lists of "books I want to read," but also foster relationships among them and you, as well. What an incredible way to build community in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete