Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Nicole Ashley August Blog #1- The Habit of Kid Watching

Kidwatching....I started doing more of this last year during Daily Five.  I kept a notebook on my students....listing things such as what the article suggested.  I learned more about my kids last year doing that than any other assessment I had given in the past.  My Independent Reading notebook was my favorite.  I made notes on each child- their book choices, habits during reading, what we discussed together during conferencing, their answers to open-ended questions, struggles, and strengths!  This info mean much more to me than a grade on an assessment and I felt like I understood the students so much better.  We fought for no grades in first grade for this very reason.  It is so much more beneficial for all involved to not focus on a grade at such a young age....but to understand what type of learner a 6 year old is and build on their strengths.  I intend to keep the same type of notes for my students this year.  I liked the idea of having the students record themselves reading.  I would like to try that and see what they notice about themselves!!!  They usually surprise me with their insight!

3 comments:

  1. What a wealth of information you must have in your Independent Reading notebook from last year...and will have this year! Last year, I gave up trying to find a "form" that allowed me to conference with each child "correctly." I used...a piece of colored notebook paper! I finally felt free from trying to check off every question on a form. Listening to them read and just talking with them about what they read helped me uncover so much more about them as a reader. You are so right, conferring with your students this year will help you "know" your readers in a way that a test grade cannot convey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole - I loved that idea of recording a child and letting them evaluate themselves... But I totally agree that the time conferencing with my students during independent reading was so valuable. I wish I had known them that well earlier in the year. I am excited to be beginning this year with that built into our independent reading time. My students seem really excited about IR time. I am hoping they will love reading and that their stamina will develop quickly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicole,
    I appreciate you trying out kidwatching with your students last year through our Daily Five balanced literacy course. You mentioned in your reflection that taking notes on your students' interests, their strengths, and their struggles helped you guide them as readers. I couldn't agree more. I am thankful that this is a practice that you valued and are continuing this year. Thank you for continuing to advocate for your students and for their best practice. Sincerely, Dawn Mitchell

    ReplyDelete