Thursday, January 14, 2016

Jennifer Pitman- Dec. Blog; Ch#6: Plan for & Monitor Independent Reading, R.Routman

This chapter clearly lays it out there from all we have heard from research and reading classes to have a successful reading class we need to demonstrate, teach, guide, monitor, evaluate, & set reading goals along with student choice reading.  This year I have seen more reading, more books being checked out, more conferencing, & students asking each other about the book they are reading.

 In my new teaching position, as the Horizons/Gifted & Talented Teacher, I teach around 86 students and get to briefly walk-in many classrooms to pick up my students.  Often I have seen independent reading & teacher lead conferences taking place.  It's a very inviting classroom to enter.  I've been very impressed how much our students have adapted to our new reading strategies and how quickly our teachers have accepted & tried new reading strategies.  The main thing, we as teachers need to focus on is monitoring the students progress so that the independent time is beneficial & useful.  As a child I always heard "Practice makes Perfect" with that in mind it totally make sense for us to allow our struggling reading to practice reading everyday!  In the book, Page #85, sets the bar & makes it clear to see how "independent reading" should be performed to have increase reading scores.  As a parent, you heard & read to help your child grow in brain develop & quality time just read to them daily.  From birth til adulthood, any book can be used for entertainment & brain development.  Not only does the child become a better reader it also can connect the student & teacher.

   During reading talks in my room it has helped build our classroom community & shows me what they are interested in.  Throughout my teaching career I have been involved in the DEAR, SSR, SRA & Daily 5 Model.  All have pros & cons like everything!  I've always enjoyed listening to students read & like to see them "Think, Pair, Share."  I enjoyed & felt that if I was pulled back into a regular ed-reading class I would reference to this chapter often due to the charts, checklist, just the right book checkpoints & examples.   This chapter could make a struggling reading teacher master & improve their reading class development very quickly & easily guides you in how it should look & feel.  I thoroughly enjoyed this chapter and hope all reading teachers get the chance to read it too.

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer, I am so glad that you often observe classrooms with a "reading teacher" lens. One cannot walk into a room without seeing some sort of reading best practice going on in our building. I am glad I am not the only one who has seen it! I am so glad you are incorporating book talks in your gifted classrooms in order to get to know your students. There is no better authentic way to get to know your students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifer for all you do to incorporate meaningful instruction with your GT students and seeing each grade level as your class. Knowing our readers helps us ensure that our teaching matches their needs and interests, and many times, that makes all the difference. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete