Sunday, January 10, 2016

Tami Broomall's November Blog Post 4: You Only Have So Much Time

Ask any teacher and they'll tell you that the biggest issue they face is time.  There is just never enough of it!  This chapter does a great job of detailing ways to help teachers with this issue.

I especially like the author's idea of spending most of your time thinking.  I find myself doing this all the time.  So that I don't forget things that come to me at odd times (usually at 3:00 in the morning), I use my phone to record notes that I can review and implement later.  This has really helped me become more efficient with my time.

I also believe that we must maintain a lively pace.  I have found that this works really well with the math centers I have used the last few years.  Every ten to fifteen minutes, students are changing centers and there are far fewer discipline issues since students are more engaged.  This also allows me to differentiate more and serves as a better use of my time.

Looking at your schedule carefully is also a great idea.  This past year we did that as a team and were able to squeeze out a little more instructional time by rearranging our schedule and reducing transitional times.  Every little bit helps when so much is expected.

Finally, I agree that it is important to make time for professional development.  Only if we continue to learn can we become better teachers.  Staying current with best practices allows us to make better use of the time we have.  Personally, I also feel like it inspires me and makes me more enthusiastic about my job.

2 comments:

  1. Tami, I am so glad that you were able to find "take-aways" from our Routman text! Even more than that I admire how reflective you are and that you always seek to better yourself as a teacher for your students. They are so lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Tami! I appreciate the learning you gleaned from this text and the ways you continually work to grow and to learn as a teacher. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete