Thursday, January 7, 2016

Sheryl Elliott’s Blog: Chapter Six: Plan for and Monitor Independent Reading

I’ve conferenced more this year than any other years of teaching.  I’ve noticed several things.  Good readers like to tell you about their books.  They get excited when you ask them questions about what they are reading.  The conversation is about something they love.  Struggling readers will not say much about the books they are reading.  However, the more I conferenced with those struggling readers, the more they talk.  I believe one of the main reasons is when I conference on a regular basis, I am making sure the struggling readers are reading appropriate level books.  I love watching the students who have never truly enjoyed a book, enjoy a book for the first time. 
Isn’t it sad that independent reading time is the first thing we cut when time becomes a factor?  I am so guilty of this.  I’ll get in that meaningless morning work, but cut an independent reading time in a heartbeat….you know why?  I have to give the answers that will be on Friday’s morning work quiz…..have to have those grades in the grade book.  I am ashamed of myself for thinking this way.  This article “gives me permission” to cut everything else and make sure that independent reading is a priority every day, even when programs, snow, pull-outs, etc. interpret our day!
I need to increase the amount of “book talks” and sharing I do after independent reading.  I’ve improved the independent time and the conferencing, but I do not always allow time for students to share….add it to my list of how to improve, right!!!!!

I love the “Try It Apply It” section of the article.  In this section the author suggests that we applaud the child who says, “This book is too hard for me.”  I love that idea.  Kids, especially 5th graders are usually too proud to admit that.  I need to make sure kids feel comfortable saying that.  Great article!  I enjoyed it!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like your conferencing has been very meaningful this year and you have learned a lot about your readers and your students during your time together!

    Many of us are guilty of doing things for those precious grades in the grade book! One of the things I want to work on next year with grade levels is looking at the things that we value most (like IR, etc.) and create ways to get authentic grades from it. How awesome would it be to be able to eliminate the things that we find are wasteful, but we feel like we are forced to do them for the gradebook!

    I think your students would love Book Talks! Have you done any yet? I would love to come and participate if you do any in May (in between testing of course)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheryl,
    I loved reading about your conferences during independent reading and what you are learning about your students from them. I would love to work with you next year to help design checklists and rubrics that help us assess where students are with their independent reading in meaningful ways instead of a worksheet. I would love to hear about the Book Talks as well. Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete