Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Kelli Smith – Blog Post #4 Miller Section 1: Not This: Is There Enough Time?


            I found that this made me take a harder look at what I do in my classroom with regard to time management.  My students needs many breaks during the day so I have to really strategize in order to get the most instruction in each day.  I allow time during each day for independent “reading” where students can explore a book or books of their own choosing and figure out what interests them.  Then, they sit one on one with a teacher or teaching assistant and have that book read aloud to them where they can follow along by looking at the pictures and turning pages.  We have to meet the students where they are but also allow them time to explore what interests them.  I have found that allowing the independent reading time fosters a love of books by the students.  They want to have the book read to them and learn more about what the book is all about.  They also can take this time to find what interests them most and then I can provide more material along those lines.  I think I could do a better job of providing more of these types of opportunities even when the day doesn’t seem to allow it.  It is so exciting to watch the students when we visit the library.  One of my favorite times is when we return to the classroom after library.   I give them about 10 to 15 minutes to look through the new book they have chosen and then we pick one or two to read aloud to the entire class.  Making the time and taking the time is worth it when it comes to the importance of literacy for all students no matter their ability level. 


2 comments:

  1. This post made me smile and warmed my heart! If you can make time for Independent Reading, then ANYONE can! Even more than just you making the time is that you see the value in it and respect them enough as individuals to choose their own books! I would love to come and see IR in action. Let me know what time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mrs. Brown 100% - if you are able to take time to ensure that students are spending time independently reading then there is no excuse for regular classroom teachers. Like Nicole, I'd love to see your independent reading time in action. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete