Friday, January 15, 2016

Karilyn Parker - Blog 5 - Routman Ch. 5

When reading Routman's chapter, I like the idea of not organizing by level. When I choose a book to read, I don't check out the level first. I look at the covers. Read a few pages and decide if it is something that I will enjoy. Our kids are doing the same and need to be guided as they choose books. 
I do put the levels on the inside cover, because some kids are still using those levels to guide their choices, but I have other students who are such experienced readers that they don't need a level to choose a book. 
As I was reading this chapter, it hit home with me that my classroom library was in a big way lacking choice and variety. In my first years of teaching, I bought loads of books and had a good size library when I was teaching reading. When I began teaching just math, my library dissipated. We would use books that related to our units but those weren't plentiful. 
My library has grown this year and now I'm looking forward to getting it organized. 

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you have been able to expand your library! I know your homeroom students especially have enjoyed an expended library of books to choose from. It has been my experience that some students can become overwhelmed by a large media center full of books. Having a well stocked (yet smaller than a media center) and organized library can make choosing books more manageable for them! I would love to help you organize your library. Let me know if I can help in any way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Parker,
    I love that you have grown your classroom library as well and have made time for your students to independently read. I can understand how when you began to teach math that your library began to slowly decrease. I am thankful that with this course and with Mrs. Brown's support everyone has been able to "beef up" their libraries. Thank you! Dawn

    ReplyDelete