Friday, January 15, 2016

Terri Gowdy – Blog 5 – Teach with a Sense of Urgency –Routman Ch. 4


At first glance, I assumed this chapter would be about time… That word “urgency” made me think of how difficult it is to fit everything in to each day. Time management is such a challenge! There never is enough of it! But the real “urgency” in this chapter is about making every second count towards developing strong, independent students that have confidence and feel validated as learners.

This chapter is an affirmation of the need for integrated teaching. Seeing the difference this makes in my student’s learning is amazing. As an adult, I know how important it is to have connections to why I need to know something and how to use the information. It makes sense that my students would want the same connections made in the daily learning process. This chapter makes me want to put everything I teach my students to the “So what?” test that Routman refers to. She explains that activities teaching skills and strategies are certainly important, but I should be asking “How is this activity helping my students become more independent as learners?” I am inspired to do my best to make certain these activities and strategies I use are effectively aimed at doing that! In her conclusion of this chapter she suggests that we must keep our expectations high for our students. I know when a teacher in my life has given me lofty goals, it has helped me succeed in different endeavors. I definitely feel a sense of “urgency” to keep my expectations high for my students. I want to help them maximize their potential. I certainly feel driven by a sense of not wanting to ever let my students down, and I love that she added that we not only teach them with urgency, but with JOY. I want them to love learning!!

2 comments:

  1. I love the question (How is this activity helping my students become more independent as learners?) Routman posed as well! Isn't that what we all want for our students? If we want them to become capable adults, we have to allow them to "practice" and feel free to mess up! Our mistakes are the basis for our growth.

    Your students are lucky to have someone who sees the importance of having joy in their heart and wanting to share that joy with others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terry,
    I appreciate how you always work to apply everything you learn from professional reading and from professional development to improve your instruction and most importantly have a positive impact on your students. I am thankful for you! Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete