Thursday, August 27, 2015

Rachel Johnson, blog 1-August, Miller Ch. 1

            In the first chapter of her book Debbie Miller discusses the importance of independent reading time.  She stresses that independent reading time, or IR, is an essential part of the day.  In order for students to grow as readers they must have time to read-every day.  During this time of independent reading, students are able to practice the reading skills and strategies they have learned in class.  Does this sound like a great idea but there is not enough time in the day for IR to happen each day?  Miller offers a solution to this common argument-take a close look at what you are spending time on.  More than likely, there are areas of the day that can be shortened or taken out completely to make time independent reading.
            This chapter really hit home for me this year.  I teach on a three switch team and my team teachers and I looked at the schedule at the beginning of the year to see how we could expand the time for each block.  Since adding more hours to the school day was not an option we looked at how we were spending our time.  Previously, we did not start teaching until 8:10 because we were waiting for WAME and vision students to return to class and students were completing morning work packets.  We spent 5-8 minutes switching classes twice a day because we would take the whole class to the restroom in between each switch.   The list grew as we thought about our daily schedule.  While individually none of the above items was a giant time consumer, if you put them all together the time added up. 
            This year we start our teaching blocks at 7:45.  We have cut down transitions to 1-2 minutes by taking out the class restroom breaks.  I now have an hour and half with each block-something I never had before.  I have found that I am able to cover my lessons more thoroughly and have more lively class discussions.  Furthermore, even though I teach science and social studies I am now able to give students about 10 minutes of IR in my classroom most days.  While 10 minutes is not a lot, this is something I have never had the time to do before.  Students now get IR time in their ELA block and a small IR time in my room.  I am also able to incorporate more content reading into my science and social studies lessons.

            I am looking forward to seeing my students grow as readers through the IR time and increased content reading in my science and social studies classes this year.

11 comments:

  1. Rachel, I love how your team worked together to find ways to increase your instructional blocks of time. Cutting out the transition time seems to have added so much opportunities for collaboration and independent reading! I am sure you will find them book shopping in your classroom library more this year. I cannot wait to see how they grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job fifth grade team for revamping your schedule. We had to do a little of that down on this hall! Like you said, ten mins of independent reading in your class is ten more than they were getting. We are just getting started in first grade with IR! They can wait to do book shopping. It will be interesting to see how long they can handle this time....planning on placing a stamina chart up to see our growth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES.... teacher observation on listening & seeing the interest of the students is very important & can make a difference in so many unforeseen ways. I feel connection to students in their lives then making that a conversation with the child can then help lead into guiding reading instruction for that child. I too agree that the pre-assessing a student's interest & their reading level is critical to know as the teacher to use how to challenge the child & begin their reading development.I want to continue to be involved in my students in the Horizons program to help communicate & be a part of their reading discoveries. I love to read myself & adolescent books are some of my favorites. I hope to use my love of reading to share books with my horizon students. The quote is great to remember...even as teachers we are not alike but all want the same for each child; which is success & love of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES.... teacher observation on listening & seeing the interest of the students is very important & can make a difference in so many unforeseen ways. I feel connection to students in their lives then making that a conversation with the child can then help lead into guiding reading instruction for that child. I too agree that the pre-assessing a student's interest & their reading level is critical to know as the teacher to use how to challenge the child & begin their reading development.I want to continue to be involved in my students in the Horizons program to help communicate & be a part of their reading discoveries. I love to read myself & adolescent books are some of my favorites. I hope to use my love of reading to share books with my horizon students. The quote is great to remember...even as teachers we are not alike but all want the same for each child; which is success & love of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Rachel!! I loved how your team took an overall look at your schedule and found time to cut back on. I also looked at mine this year and realized how much instructional time I can now use starting my day earlier and not waiting on WAME to finish and my late buse students to come in. I love how you are giving your students an extra 10 minutes of IR and more content reading in your blocks. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry my other 2 comments reffered to chapter 1.... wrong comment post!
    WAY to go 5th grade to gain time in your schedule by adjusting some & then allowing IR time within your content area. Now you will be able to continue sharing your passion of history through reading. Bring in your love of reading & time to connect with students in their reading sources will make your character building stronger as well. It's a win- win!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachel- I agree- it is amazing the amount of time that adds up in the course of our day. A minute here and there definitely adds up. I think it is great that although that you are not technically your students ELA teacher, you are still giving them independent reading time. I love that we have a faculty that does not stay stagnant - we modify and adjust as we learn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way you all have minimized the "down time" by cutting down on your transitions. A minute here and there fore independent reading is so important and SO necessary to have successful students who have the extra time for reading. I also like the way you are incorporating IR in non-ELA classes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree that adding the extra time in from decreasing our "down time" has increased our learning time and the value of the time spent in class. The independent reading time is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rachel, I LOVE that as a science/social studies teacher you are able to provide your students with ten minutes of independent reading time every day! This is wonderful and these ten minutes across your fifth graders' day adds up to some significant reading time. Add that to the time they are getting with Mrs. Shackleford and Mrs. Elliott and we are increasing the opportunities they have to grow as readers. Thank you! Dawn Mitchell

    ReplyDelete