Monday, April 18, 2016

Amy Kemper Blog Post #7 Chapter 12 You Only Have so Much Time



As I come and go every day to teach I feel that quite often I find that I didn’t get to teach each lesson I had planned. Every day the schedule has to follow a routine. Meaning that if the students are struggling I may have to slow down or if they are performing well I have to continue. This means that out of the 5 groups I teach I will be on different lessons for each group. As a teacher at times I have to remind myself to leave the school work behind and enjoy life outside of school. Teaching is not a 9-5 job in my opinion, it carries out through meetings, lesson plans, grading, IEP writing, and many more items that are important to carry out a successful school day for the students.  Without the pre planning it would not allow the school day to be utilized the best way for each student. When I plan it is important that I plan effective lessons for each group for not just myself but also my assistants so they are able to also feel comfortable administering the lessons to the students. With all the planning and lessons it is also important to ensure the students feel safe and comfortable at school. I know that I can only control what happens at school and can only hope that when the students leave to go home they will remember the lessons and that they enjoy themselves then too. Routman made me think more about several items when planning my school year. What are my expectations of their learning and how will I present the material, assess they material, and truly know they understand it.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you see the importance of having a life outside of school. I know how hard it must be to plan for the many different levels of your students with disabilities. I am also glad you want your students to enjoy school and feel safe and comfortable! I know they are going to love Barrier Island this week and I cannot wait to hear about all their adventures!

    ReplyDelete