Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Jayna Lehrer – April /May Blog – Miller Section 2 – Why Not? What Works?


In this chapter Miller discusses the importance of independent Reading and the different practices that are critical for effective independent reading. One of the most important things that I have implemented in my classroom in regards to independent reading is the importance of having “choice” in the selection of books that the students have. I have personally, along with the help of our literacy coach, spent a tremendous amount of time organizing my classroom library. Thus creating an environment where the students have control over which books they would like to place in their independent book boxes. Miller tells us that letting students choose their own text not only develops motivation but also assists in the comprehension of what the student is reading.
I also appreciated the focus that Miller put on giving teachers specific examples as to what we are to be doing during this independent reading time. I also worry about what my role, along with the role of my assistant should be during this time. Spending time talking to students, large and small group instruction, creating posters, notebooks and providing support were all great examples of things that I can do to make the most of this time.

I know that I need to be an active participant during this time. I cannot just sit and watch my readers, but that I must bring all of my teaching talents to the table and help these students become lifelong learners and readers through this practice.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jayna,
    I appreciate the ways you reflected on Miller's suggestions during independent reading. She makes the great point that independent reading time isn't just for students to read quietly but it is a valuable time for us and for our assistants to formatively assess students through conferencing and miscue analysis or running records. What feeds into independent reading is our mini-lessons that are planned based on what we learn from our conferencings. I am glad that you are using this time for purposeful instruction.
    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you and Dawn! Once you are conferencing with your students during IR, you will start to notice skills your students need! You can teach a mini-lesson to the whole class if many of them need help with the skill, or you can pull a small group during IR to teach those students who need the skill, if most do not. So much information about our students as readers can be uncovered and discovered during IR time!

    ReplyDelete