Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Sheryl Elliott Ch. 12, Routman You Only Have So Much Time


The first statement that grabbed my attention was, “Our students will not become better readers because we create fabulous projects and centers, give them lots of paperwork, and grade lots of papers.  They will become better readers it they receive excellent instruction and have lots of time to read and talk about books.”  I have learned so much about this this year.  I have stopped “planning,” and started listening to my students.  Don’t get me wrong, I still write lesson plans and have my days planned, but my “planning” revolves around what is best for my students, not what the standards require that I teach. 
I also enjoyed reading the section about making every minute count.  I have been so guilty of creating centers and copying worksheets that really did not help make my students better readers.  I am now constantly asking myself, “How will this assignment or lesson help my students become a better reader and will they enjoy what I have planned?” 
Using transitional times as teaching times is something I need to improve.  I feel like I could use a lot more time in my day more wisely and could benefit my students.  I like the ideas mentioned in the chapter.  Moving from one activity to another activity or place would be a great time for me to review spelling. 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Sheryl,
    Like you I loved this chapter and how Routman really gets to the heart of effective reading instruction by reminding us it is all about our relationships with our students as readers and the meaningful instruction and assessment that we do. You are right - knowing what our kids know and are applying in their independent reading and knowing what they are reading is the most valuable information we have. Using that to guide our instruction helps us to grow them as readers and that makes our planning different but I argue, more effective. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheryl, I think it is awesome that you are planning based on what your students need. I heard something this year that really drove this belief home for me: "We are not teaching standards, we are teaching students." Thinking about the child first, and the curriculum second has helped me grow so much this year, as well!

    ReplyDelete