Monday, April 18, 2016

Amy Kemper Blog Post #5 Routman Chapter 5 Classroom Library



As I read this chapter I kept reflecting on my classroom library. I thought about the various grade levels and ability levels in my classroom. I also know that in order to use books that will maintain the interest of my students it will have to be a lower level based around grade standards that I modify to their level. I used to have a job set up in the room as the “librarian” where the students had to organize the books. Unfortunately, I realized how many books were being “mistreated” as I felt the students didn’t possess the understanding of the importance of books. Throughout this chapter I realized the importance of letting the students continue to handle the books and to introduce each one the importance of the books. The books could be used not only to look through but rather take a journey and let them relate to the books. Routman reinforced the importance of organizing the books. I found that organizing the books by subject helped the students stay focused on the topics we were using was important. My students don’t understand that one is a higher reader than the other however, they do recognize that when they see an animal book they want an animal book too. I found that by putting them by topics, the students would be using the similar books and sharing what they found with their peers. I have really enjoyed watching my students take a new appreciation of the books.

1 comment:

  1. Amy, I am so glad your students are having access to more books. Part of the learning process for handling and caring for books is being able to explore with them! One can't learn to drive a car without getting behind the wheel of one. Even if some of the books get destroyed, it will be worth it!

    ReplyDelete