Monday, August 31, 2015

Donna Lowe Blog Post #1 The Habit of Kidwatching

As I read the article, The Habit of Kidwatching, by Timothy O'Keefe, I found myself relating to so many of the record keeping ideas and strategies that were discussed.

Over the years my record keeping has been much of what O'Keefe described as "often disjointed anecdotal notes,..."  I found myself saving all of my student's work, writing down notes about this and that, and not really using any of the information strategically to benefit my teaching or the student's learning.

Last year was the first time that I found a system that worked for me.  I created a daily plan that allowed me time to coach, or conference with every student every week.  It was the most wonderful literacy experience that I have created in my classroom to this day, I believe.

I attribute much of the motivation to create this system to The Daily Five as well to the opportunity that I had to visit another school and observe conferencing with first graders.  I was able to listen to each child read a few minutes from a book of their choice, which also needed to be on their reading level.  This helped me to determine if the students, indeed, were reading on the correct level.  I kept notes of the books that they would read to me, and I noticed that some wanted to bring the same book every week!  So, we talked about that.  I kept notes of what reading strategies the students used when they came to words that they didn't know.  I took notes on how the students tracked their words, and how fluent they read.  Over time I could look back and the information was so valuable to the mini-lessons that I taught, to the encouragement of other readers, etc.  Everytime I coached a student I gave them a bookmark with information about what they did great, and an area to improve.  They kept this with them as future reference.  Oh, how they loved those bookmarks.  I would see them collecting them like dollar bills in their desks.  During our share time after conferencing, I would point out a student who had used a strategy that we had discussed.   Overall, self-selected reading and conferencing time became my most valuable part of my school day. 

I agree that "kidwatching is not the for the faint of heart.  It required commitment, risk taking, and valuing the good in each child.  However, kidwatching is its own reward."

3 comments:

  1. Donna, I bet you knew those students better than any class you've had before! How awesome that you were able to meet with them each and every week. Those students probably looked forward to that time with you! Have you seen the online conferring notebook for Daily 5/CAFE? I am a big fan and will be using it for my SLO group. I would love to share it with you soon. I think you would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna - I have to agree that the structured conferencing with my students each week during Independent Reading was a life changer for me as well! I think you shared that conferencing sheet with me! I felt so much more on the pulse of where each child was as a reader... Seeing Nicole's comment above makes me hope she will share the Daily 5 notebook idea she has found and is excited about using. I am so grateful for a team that shares and tells what has worked in their own classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Donna,
    I loved reading your post and how you valued kidwatching as a means of validating student work and effort, but how last year through our balanced literacy class using the Daily Five book study you found a system that really worked for you to not only take anecdotal kidwatching and conferencing notes, but to use them to guide your instruction. I can't wait to see how you and your students will grow this year. Sincerely, Dawn Mitchell

    ReplyDelete