Friday, August 28, 2015

Rachel Johnson-blog 2 (Sept)- Miller Ch. 2

                This chapter was very beneficial to me because it told the “what” of IR.  In the previous chapter I was sold on the fact that students need IR time every day but this chapter explained what students need to be doing in IR time and what my role as the teacher is.  The two parts of the chapter that really spoke to me were that students need to be reading from different genres.
            Miller stated that students need to be reading from different types of genres.  I have seen this over the past eleven years in my social studies classroom.  Every year I have some students that are wonderful readers and score well above a fifth grade level on standardized reading tests but fail to perform at that same level with reading comprehension work and passages in my  classroom.  When they read the type of genre they are used to, the student is great.  However, when I have them read nonfiction material and historical documents (that are on a fifth grade level) I noticed these students floundering.  Over the past few years I have worked to introduce my students to more nonfiction/historical text.  I started having a basket of books or magazines on my front table that correlate with our current unit.  I introduce the books to students at the beginning of each unit and call them supplemental text.  In other words, I’m not making the students read the books but the books are there if they choose to read them.  Rarely are there books in the basket.  In fact, there is usually a waiting list for the books.  Most of my students LOVE reading the historical books and learning more on our class topics. 

            While I am thrilled that my students are reading from different genres and sources what made me even more excited was the growth I saw in their comprehension when reading in those areas.  Reading nonfiction and historical material is different than reading a fiction book. Once they discover how to read the different genres they see themselves succeeding with the material.  Then I have happy, successful students which makes a happy teacher!

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post because you know I am a strong supporter of integrating reading in the content areas! Putting out books that correlate to your units is a great way to invite students to read, without making them feel like they are forced to read them. I love how you take the time to introduce the books at the beginning of your unit. Giving a little teaser for the books helps them pick the ones that will match their interests. Teaching your students strategies for reading non-fiction historical text is a skill that they will be able to use throughout their lives and isn't that our main goal for our readers- provide them with the skills they need outside of the school walls and beyond?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to connect by finding books that reflect your unit instruction with nonfiction reading materials. In fact, I noticed a 5th grader reading an Abraham Lincoln book so I assumed maybe this was of interest from your S.S. class. I noticed this too while teaching science to share & show books of the content - they quickly read more. They just need to know the books are out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, I couldn't agree more. I had the same take away from this chapter about the importance of reading from a variety of genres. Your post encourages me to do more to expose students to books focused on the content we are covering. Occasionally students will bring me books they have found that connects to something they have been learning about, but it is often by chance that they came across these books. Your post made me realize the importance of making sure I have those books available in my room and making sure my students know that they are available.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel, I appreciate the ways you are providing choice to your fifth grade students in social studies through your basket or text set of books that are on the topic you are studying but include a variety of genres. Having the well written and accurate informational texts for students to choose to read during independent reading allows us the opportunity to expose them to a wide variety of texts and to provide them with opportunities to comprehend informational text. Thank you! Sincerely, Dawn Mitchell

    ReplyDelete