Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Nicole Brown's August Blog Post 1: Share Your Reading Life



Routman/Reading Essentials/Ch. 3 "Share Your Reading Life"

          At our August class meeting, we focused on fostering “book love” with our students. I chose to read this chapter in Routman’s book Reading Essentials because I believe in order to foster that love, we have to first show children that we ourselves have a “love of reading.” As we discussed in our small groups at the beginning of the class session, I believe it is important to examine our own reading life and what memories- good or bad, we have had. As you examine your reading life, Routman states to “make it visible to your students, and connect world reading with school reading. Many students will not see and feel the power of reading without your enthusiasm and modeling.”

          Having a class discussion about why you read will help students understand that reading doesn’t just take place inside the school building. For many of our students here at Anderson Mill, reading may not be something that is done or if done, even noticed in their homes. I love the fact that Routman keeps a simple record of what he is reading and what he will read next. What an amazing way to allow your students to talk about what they are reading and make suggestions to one another. Bonds over shared reading experiences will validate their existence as a reader. I am excited about using the Padlet website in order to share professional books and even awesome children’s books to the faculty here at AMES and anyone else who is interested. This is something you can use in your classrooms to allow students to talk about what they are reading, as well as make suggestions to others who may want to read it.

Talking to students about what they are reading will help you gauge their interests and learn what they are passionate about in order to make book suggestions to them. Sometimes finding the perfect book for your readers can open up a world they didn’t even know existed, and they can find their own passion for reading.

          Routman stresses the importance of having a personal library at home. Many of the homes of our students are filled with lots of toys and very little books. I believe if we start talking about and sharing the importance of having books at home, parents will chose to purchase more books for their children. If here at school we are fostering a love of reading, then students in turn will start requesting books instead of all the toys. Do you have students with young siblings younger than five years old? Send home the Dolly Parton Imagination Library sign up link in your newsletter https://usa.imaginationlibrary.com/register_my_child.php#.VdMry330-9Z . Many of the books are appropriate for children elementary school age and it is a way to get a home library started!
          One thing that peeked my interest in the chapter was Routman’s opinion about requiring parents to sign off on at-home reading logs. I have always required parent signatures on my students’ logs. I believed this was my “insurance” that it was being done. I think I didn’t trust their commitment to reading. I wonder if I trusted their love of reading more, if I would feel comfortable enough to do away the signature requirement and just trust them as a reader. Do you require a parent signature on a reading log? If not, do you feel like they are really reading? Could students participate in a two-minute book talk each day about what they read, so they are held responsible for the reading? Something to think about! I agree with Routman stating “too many of our students are reading because they have to not because they want to….they have so many requirements for each book- daily recording of pages and minutes read, having parents verify their child’s nightly reading by signing a form, writing a summary about the completed book- that reading had become a chore, something they dreaded.” As the school year is beginning, I want to portray to students that reading can be a pleasure and not always a chore. I want to foster “Book Love” with every student and teacher I work with this year. Will you join me on this common quest of fostering a love of reading?

7 comments:

  1. Great post, Nicole. I don't know where to start. I agree that in this day and age, adults are not reading for enjoyment thus they do not have a passion for reading. So how can we expect our children to have a passion for reading if the adults in their lives are only reading their cell phones.
    Requiring parents to sign a reading log has it benefits but I also think parents sign it without making their kids read. Our students are involved in so many activities outside of school, reading isn't a priority in the home. I believe parents feel that it is our job at school to make them read. So I don't know what the answer is to get parents to have a passion for reading in order to instill that same passion in their kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about finding that perfect book. I have a current student who CAN'T wait to go to the book baskets. He's a fanatic about dinosaurs. Once it's time to go, he will make a bee line for that basket. He's already told me. But just talking about what he enjoys reading opened up so many conversations about him and his interests. And knowing that I have a basket full of books that he can't wait to read excites not only him, but me as well. He's excited about reading and that's what our main goal is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Several great thoughts, Nicole. I love the dialogue here and the real talk concerning reading logs. Routman also gave me food for thought concerning all the demands placed on reading by the classroom teacher. I can easily see how reading can be seen as a chore instead of pleasure seeking for students. However, in the younger grades I believe it starts with the classroom teacher modeling and sharing his/her passion for reading. This can easily be done by sharing our “reading life" with our students according to Routman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thoughts, Nikki! I've always struggled with the reading log. The article and the points you mentioned gave me lots of food for thought! I really need to study how to use Padlet in my classroom. I think my students would love it. Sheryl Elliott

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing Nicole. I agree that finding that students interests like: sports, athletes, animals, and etc. Once, you make a list and can suggest certain books to students it is hard to get them to put down that book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nikki this chapter opened my eyes a little. I don't consider my self an avid reader but I guess I am. My love of reading comes when I read books to Kelsey. I always been a reader of children's books. We have plastic tubs full of books I've read to her over the years. I take that love of children's books into my classroom. The children's books are what I tell my students I love read.

    I do need to find out the interest of my students. I think I'll do that tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great thoughts, Nicole! I love how you share the Imagination Library as a way to get more books for our youngest readers. Your questions about signing reading logs are very thought provoking! Does a signature mean kids do/don't read at home? Interesting to consider! :-)

    ReplyDelete