Monday, August 31, 2015

Terri Gowdy Blog Post 1 - Routman Chapter 3

After brainstorming last week with my class about “Why we read”, it surprised me that none of them said because “we love to!” I had to bait and bribe that thought right out of them!

This chapter affirmed the need for me to change that thinking amongst my students! Routman’s words were “if they don’t read for pleasure they are not likely to make reading a lifelong habit or goal.” I actually remember as a young child at school having to read only what the teacher picked out – and for this old person that was a lot of “See Dick and Jane” -  and black and white pages. Loving to read at school was not a reality. Joy with books as a child for me came, however, when we walked into the public library and got to look at and pick out any books we wanted and take them home for awhile. I get excited watching the students go to “book shop” for books in the classroom, but sadly, I am not sure they get as excited! So my goal is to work to instill that love of reading into my students by hopefully finding books and topics that interest them. I am looking forward to sharing what books and reading mean to me and how I go about choosing books to read. I like the suggestion of asking “What is your now book?”, “What is your next book?”, and “What is your favorite book?” There are some wonderful tips in this article about ways students can do reading response to the books they have read that I would also like to try to implement. Making a book jacket was a clever idea as was “Critic’s Corner” or “Book Talks”. I do believe peer influence can have a strong impact upon the attitudes within the classroom. I would love to have a class full of kids making one another absolutely crazy about books and reading!

6 comments:

  1. My hope is that the children at AMES will always be thinking about their next books! On Thursday we will share an idea called a Book Pass that can help readers decide what their next books will be, as well as ncourage talking to each other about books they have read. I hope you will be able to use it with your first grade readers. After spending a year in your room, I bet many will answer the question "Why do we read?" differently at the end of the year if you ask them again because I know you are fostering a love of reading every single day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the students can greatly influence one another when it come to reading. I am sure that with your enthusiasm they will graduate from first grade loving to read and always searching for their next book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Terri that if students don't read for pleasure they probably won't read as much and certainly won't be enjoying it. I also agree that peers have a huge influence on reading. I know with my youngest son, typically he wants to read what his friends are reading. I think we need to do our best as teachers to help reading be fun and not a chore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too loved the idea of having the students create book jackets of their books. Peer influence is huge in the classroom and the 'Book Talks' can be a vital tool to help students find and read new books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you are wanting to do with your students! Increasing a love for reading is hopefully going to skyrocket your students into their next books and help create an excitement that keeps them reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Terry,
    I appreciate the time and thought you put into this blog post and I enjoyed reading about your experiences as a reader yourself in school and as a teacher of our first grade readers. I agree with you and O'Keefe in believing that students need to enjoy reading, to love it in fact, if it is to become a life long habit of choice. Modeling these authentic reading behaviors through book talks and through book reviews and mini-lessons that empower student choice and ownership provide our students with a classroom environment that is a lot more inviting like our public libraries than a scripted curriculum. I appreciate all you do for our students. Thanks, Dawn Mitchell

    ReplyDelete