Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Nicole Ashley Blog #2- August Routman Chapter 3

This chapter really made me think about the importance of sharing my love of reading with my students.  I think often times we get so boggled down in teaching reading strategies to our kids that we forget to talk about how reading affects all of our lives.  Since we are jumping into Independent Reading next week...I want to take some time this week and follow some of the suggestions he had.  I'm going to talk about the books I am reading, my favorite authors, my home library, etc.  I think they will love hearing about me in that way.  Any time I mention something I do outside of school, or talk about my family, they are all ears. I think it's true; some think you don't ever leave the building.  I loved the part in the chapter about your "now" and "next" book.  I am so that way....before I finish a book I need to have another ready to go.  I want them to start thinking in that way!  We have talked a little in my class about their libraries at home.  It's very interesting to hear them tell about their rooms and where they keep their books.  Some sound very elaborate, while sadly some just listened ....amazed.  I know some are more privileged than others.  I hope my library at school will make up for some of those students. The try it, apply it....when we do Star Student, they are asked to bring in their favorite books to share with the class.  Such a fun time....they love doing this and it tells the others so much about them. It's great to see their faces light up when they too have the same favorite book...then a book talk begins!

12 comments:

  1. Nicole, you are so right! Our students are always engaged when we share personal stories with them. Those are always the things they share with their parents at home! Perhaps if we are sharing our reading life with our students, the homes with few books may benefit. If students are sharing these stories, maybe parents will see how much their children enjoy reading and start buying more books, or checking out books from the public library! There are so many positive effects that can come from sharing with our students. I can't wait to hear how your students benefit from you sharing your reading experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole A- it made me smile when you said how the kids love to hear about our lives outside of school. So I am sure they will also enjoy listening to what we are reading at home. That me think about bringing in my own kids favorite books when they were in first grade. I have always brought books from home (like all of us have) but I have never brought in my own kids books and talked about why they loved those books so much. I think our biggest challenge is getting parents excited about reading. The kids will follow suit if the adults in their lives (at home and school) show a true love of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this post. I always talk about my life with my students-what I am doing at home, my running, my crazy kids, etc. However, I've never talked about what I am reading. I love to read and read for pleasure each night but I've never shared this love with my students. I'm going to start!!!! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Nicole! My students are the same, as soon as I start talking about what I do at home or what I like I have all eyes and ears. I love the idea of your "now" book and your "next" book. Reading if very difficult for my students and getting them to find a book they can read independently that they enjoy is hard. I also love the idea of having your Start Students bring their favorite book and share it with the class!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole, you are so right about how sharing your personal life with the students makes them "all ears". The teachers that stand out the most for me from my elementary school years are the ones who talked about their lives outside of school. It would only make sense that sharing with the students about what we love to read would catch their interest as well. Thanks for inspiring me to do this with my own studnets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the part about the ones who were amazed listening to the other students who have lots of books at home. They really listen to one another sometimes more than they listen to us-right? You are encouraging a love of reading and that's the goal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicole - I totally agree! I know that your children are going to love hearing about all of the fun books you are reading. My student also light up when I talk about reading to my own children. It engages them on a totally different level. Great insight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of letting the students bring in their own favorite books to share. I would like to do this and maybe have a basket in the room or a display of favorites. This would get many of them interested in reading by just seeing that their friends are interested. Great Idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that the kids are way more interested to hear about you personally because they can feel closer to you. I know my kids love when I share something that they can relate to and they think its hilarious that we like some of the same things such as animals or colors. When I read them my "favorite" stories it becomes their favorite too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too share about my life with my students and they are always all ears. It never occurred to me to share my 'reading life' with my students. I too like the idea of letting the students bring in their favorite books. This is a great way to get the students interested in reading and being exposed to a variety of genres.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree that allowing our kids to see us enjoying books and seeing that we have a "reading life" will help them see that they too can have a love for reading! Bringing their favorite book is a great idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Nicole,
    I am glad that the article you read this month provided you with some relevant strategies you could try out in your practice. The "Now" and "Next" suggestion is one that I loved as well and it did remind me of the importance of sharing our reading lives with our students. We know that modeling is an effective strategy in content areas and sometimes we forget that the best modeling we can do is of our reading and writing habits and practices ourselves. Thank you, Dawn Mitchell

    ReplyDelete