Sunday, August 9, 2015

Dawn Mitchell's August Blog Post 1: Finding Time for Independent Reading


Dawn Mitchell's August Blog Post 1

In Section I of Debbie Miller’s No More Independent Reading Without Support she writes that children learn to read by reading but not without support.  I love this challenge she gives us at the beginning of her book and I definitely think it is relevant to us at the beginning of this school year. 
Miller writes, “What if there were a way out? What if there were a way – at least for part of the day – where things slowed down, your students had their hands and minds on great books, and you had the pleasure of conferring with them about their reading and themselves as readers?  No rotations, activities, or worksheets – just you, your kids, and books. If you could find a way out, would you take it?”

Miller explains that independent reading isn’t just Sustained Silent Reading where everyone stops, drops, and reads, the teacher included.  She explained that truly effective independent reading provides an instructional component, an application component, and a formative assessment component so that students have support during independent reading time.  Miller advocates for a reading workshop model.  She knows that to do this well, there has to be a consistent block of time during the school day.

This time is an investment into the workshop structure.  It is an investment into independent reading and more than that, it is an investment into each one of our students.

For the last fourteen years of my teaching career I have worked to implement workshop structure for both writing and reading where students have a supportive context for their application of real world literacy skills.  I know first-hand how we, as teachers struggle against the clock for time to make this meaningful work happen.  This was the first roadblock I had when implementing reading/writing workshop into my own fourth grade class over a decade ago and it is still the first instructional roadblock I always hear from the wonderful teachers I work with.  We don’t have enough time.  I agree.  There never is enough time. 

Time is the great equalizer.  We all have the same amount, each and every day.  Since we cannot make any more time, I agree with Miller that it is worth our time to carefully examine our schedule and look closely for the time that is hiding.  There is time, chunks of it hiding in the minutes of morning work we do to keep kids on task while we take attendance.  I have found a little time here and a little time there in transitions that take too long or routines that may not be necessary to extend all morning.  Debbie also asked to take a long look at our existing reading block and to see if we were really using our time to engage students.  Do they really need the packets of worksheets, the isolated times for all of the activities in the basal reader…? 

I know from my own experience when I moved from a scripted program to an authentic workshop structure where I used time for independent reading and writing, for formative assessments to help me know who my students were as readers and writers, and what skills and strategies they were and were not using to make meaning I could design mini lessons to specifically target what they needed to work on.  This wasn’t always easy, but it was fulfilling and everyone in the classroom grew, including me.  I used every resource I had to create lessons and it was constantly changing because my students were. 

I love how Debbie explains the difference between SSR and reading workshop on page 7.  She says, “When students sit quietly at their desk with a book or magazine during DEAR or Sustained Silent Reading (SSR) time, we might see them flip a page every minute or so, but we can’t see what’s happening inside their heads.  We don’t have evidence of how they’re making meaning of the text, the specific ways they’ve grown as readers, or what they’re struggling with as they read.  Without that information, we can’t teach them how to get better and we can’t be sure that – even if they read every day – all students are becoming better readers this week than they were the one before.”

With knowing already before school begins that we have only 180 days to do the best we can with the time we have, it is vital that we utilize the most effective methods possible.  I want to know that my students are growing.  I want to see evidence of them applying what they are learning in their independent reading.  I want to give this year all I’ve got.  I want to give them independent reading with support.

Sincerely,

Dawn

7 comments:

  1. Time is always a struggle. I agree we have to steal those moments wherever we can get them. This reminds me of Donalyn Miller sharing that everywhere her students went, they had a book in hand. When they were waiting at the bathroom, they were reading, When they waited in the dreadful line to have their school portraits made, they were reading. I know we all struggle to find time for conferring. These "lost minutes" are a perfect time for a quick informal conference with a couple of our students as the rest are engaged in their books. As we work to set routines with our students this month, we want to make sure we include reading in those routines. It will become a habit for them. Even thinking beyond the research that states the best way to improve reading is for students to read, who knows, during those few moments of stolen reading time, they may discover a love of reading that they didn't even know they had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was asked recently about what I would change in my classroom and I said "TIME". I do feel that as teachers we do something just because we have always done those things. But we don't look at the benefits of what we are doing. If there are no benefits- chuck it! I was so encouraged today when I did my first mini-lesson during independent reading. The students loved independent reading in kindergarten and were ready to jump back in full steam ahead. So their kindergarten teachers instilled this love of independent reading so that makes my job easier. I know that Independent Reading is a crucial time block in my day, but if the students have a passion for it, it will be done, regardless of the time factor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As we sat down this year as a grade level to develop our schedule, time was a problem. But I can tell you this, not one of us wanted to take any time away from our Independent Reading block. We found a way to put it in our schedule to use it the way it's supposed to be used. Since day 1, my first graders have asked when they get to go book shopping so they can do their reading. Now that we're setting the stage for all of that to begin next week...they are super excited. So, bottom line is- in the perfect world- we would have all the time we need for all subjects, but we feel this reading time is the most important for our students, so we found our chunk of time and we are going with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The past ten years teaching I have always said if I could change one thing it would be TIME. I wanted more of it! However no one (Including me) wants the school day to go until 5:00. This year my team teachers and I really looked at our schedule. If we were doing something and getting no benefit from it we took it out. Gone were the morning work packets. Out went the class restroom breaks EVERY class switch. We were able to take out and adjust our schedule enough to give each block a full 1 hour and a half. I have never had so much time to teach! I am now able to pull in more reading content material into my science and social studies lessons. Students even have time for IR in my room most days. I can't wait to see how my students grow as readers-in a science and social studies classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a grammar student, independent reading time around the room was my favorite each week. The pressure of a test/quiz wasn't there & I was able to relax & enjoy the book I selected by myself. This gives students opportunity, freedom of choice & some independence. I agree that we need to assess that they are engaged & making meaning of their readings. I feel that as soon as we teach them how to find a good book for them then this will naturally take place. PRACTICE is EVERYTHING.... in sports, etc... so why not make better readers by READING MORE! Just makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe time would be most teacher's biggest challenge. This article made me realize that a lot of the things that take away my time are so meaningless. How guilty am I of not "seeing inside a child's head" while he or she is reading? I am very old school....SSR was suppose to be the best thing that ever happened to reading. This article made me realize that without the conference, the "reading" that is taking place is, for the most part, meaningless. I guess the saying is true, you can teach an old dog new tricks!!! Sheryl Elliott

    ReplyDelete
  7. TIME, is teachers always greatest challenge. This article made me realize that there is areas in my schedule that I could change in order to pack more time in for reading. After reading this, I realize I always do small group instruction, but I run out of time for conferencing with each individual child. I need to ask more question about, "Why did you choose this book?", besides the completing worksheets on main idea, characters, and so on.

    ReplyDelete