Monday, August 31, 2015

Jinger Willard Blog 2 (Sept.) Miller: Why Independent Reading Matters and Practices to Support It

Time and differentiation are the points that stood out to me after reading section 2 of Miller which focused on why independent reading matters and the best practices to support it.  In this article it stated that, in terms of independent reading, “different time allocations should be provided for students at different stages of development”.  It struck me that not only is this true from one grade level to the next but also within an individual classroom.  While we are looking for ways to increase the amount of time students have to read at school on a daily basis, it is equally important to focus on how that time is structured for individual students.  This is a daunting task when we take into consideration all of the expectations by the district and state in terms of student achievement in all subject areas. 


Teachers need the resources, tools and strategies for implementing this type of reading in their classrooms.  While I think we can all jump on board with the importance of independent reading and the appropriate implementation of it to make it effective, it is another story to do this successfully.   I was excited about the shift to an increased focus on independent reading and self-selection for my students, but when it came time to do this in my classroom, I became paralyzed by the questions of how?  when?  what about everything else I am responsible for?  I believe integration is key in beginning to answer these questions.   This chapter spoke to me, in particular as a math/science teacher, when it focused on the importance of informational text as an integral part of students’ self-selected reading.  This is motivation for me to find even more ways to integrate reading across the subject areas.  This chapter from Miller has increased my awareness of the importance of adding more content focused, high interest books to my classroom library.  It has encouraged me to search for books that will not only engage students but also support and extend their learning in math and science.  

6 comments:

  1. I felt the same about this chapter Jinger! We will have to work together to integrate some reading into science!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be very challenging in the older elementary grades to find books that are interesting as well as relevant to your subject matter of math and science. There are also so many scheduling issues, as well as testing matters, that influence your teaching time. I think the integration of reading sounds like a wonderful idea and I can't wait to see how you develop a plan for your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jinger, I love how you are wanting to add more informational books to your classroom library! The more books students are exposed to the more likely they are to find one that they are interested in. Finding books that will also support your content area will also be beneficial! I would love to come look at your library and we can start compiling a list of titles that we can add to what you already have. After we have a list, we can start devising a plan for finding funds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I would so love and need your help and input! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Jinger, I agree that students do need more informational books in the classroom. Having books to help reinforce the concepts taught in class are awesome as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jinger,
    I appreciate your willingness to examine your current classroom practices as a content area teacher to determine where you can increase independent reading and specifically, how this will look in your classroom, with your students. You shared in your post how you are going to start with providing students with options of texts that are high interest and focused on your current topics of study. Creating a "text set" like this of books for students to choose from during independent reading can be helpful in motivating them to read widely. Thanks, Dawn Mitchell

    ReplyDelete