Monday, April 4, 2016

Decken Blog Post 6: Miller Section 1

This chapter was based on TIME...is there time in the day for IR?  Is that time enough?  I definitely have the time in my schedule (it may be at the very end of the day, and there may be some days we don't get to it) but I definitely don't think I am implementing it as I should.  The text states that it is "more than just DEAR or SSR"...& if I'm honest, I've called it SSR a few times to my students. However, I have noticed this year how much of a struggle it is to get my students to WANT to read.  Some do enjoy it, but there are several that I feel like I nag to pick a book/I have had to help pick a book. I do conference with them as often as I can, just to keep them accountable and know that Miss Decken IS paying attention and wants them to read! In my conferencing, I ask them some simple questions about what they're reading, who the main character is, what the story is about, etc.  I also ask them if I can help them with anything as they are reading.  Most of the time, they want me to tell them how to say a word (which I always make them sound out).

2 comments:

  1. Research shows the best way to improve student's reading is to have them read daily for extended periods of time. When students are engaged in self-selected independent reading, it can increase their comprehension, vocabulary, spelling, and language knowledge. Have you thought of moving your time to earlier in the day, if they seem tired? Sometimes a GoNoodle can energize them, as well! I suggest that you do a little "digging" to find out why your reluctant readers are being so reluctant! Is it that they can't find a book they are interested in? Is it because they are choosing books that are too hard? Too easy? The time you spend conferencing with them will not only let you get to know them as readers, but as people as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon,
    I agree with Miller and with Nicole that the most important part of our day is the time we devote for students to independently apply in their own reading what strategies and structures and processes they've learned from us. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete