Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Michelle Lanford- April Post- chapter 9- Routman

I chose to blog about this chapter because it is about shared reading and this is something that I have just started doing with my class this year. I taught preschool, kindergarten, and first grade earlier in my teaching career and I used shared reading a lot with these grades mainly because most of them can't read yet and are just learning how reading works. I had not thought about doing this with my 2nd graders. I have always had a read-aloud time, but not a real shared reading time until now. I enjoy this time when the students and I can share a story or a passage together. I either put a copy on the board or students have their own copy of the text. I feel like more students participate because we are all reading together and they feel less pressure. Routman states that shared reading not only makes the reading visible, it provides scaffolding which helps students feel more successful.  It also gives me another small window of time to teach reading skills. We use the text to discuss reading strategies, text features, elements of fiction, decoding, fluency, etc. depending on the text being used. Students get a chance to talk about the text and discuss it with one another and sometimes do a response activity. I am really glad that I implemented shared reading back into my teaching.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it great how you can "pull it all together" with a shared reading experience! It is a great way to demonstrate metacognition through think alouds. I love that you see the value in this practice and are using it in your second grade classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle,
    I loved the way Routman explains how shared reading can be a supportive structure for modeling effective reading to students and gradually releasing responsibility for them to try out the strategies in their independent reading. Thanks, Dawn Mitchell

    ReplyDelete