Thursday, April 14, 2016

Emily Plumley - Mar/Apr Blog - Routman, Ch. 9 - Emphasize Shared Reading

I enjoyed this chapter because it was something that I knew a little about, but didn't truly understand everything that could come from it. After learning more about shared reading, it's definitely something I would love to integrate into my classroom and teaching more. Students all have unique ideas and points of view on things, especially with books and what certain passages may mean. What a wonderful way to find out their unique and different opinions by doing shared reading. 

Since integrating reading into math, science and social studies is a huge goal for teachers, this would be a great to review reading skills in other subjects. Things like text features, fluency, decoding and even reading strategies can be done in more books that just reading textbooks. Students could even have a chance to talk about the text and share their thoughts and ideas. You could even give shared reading a fun name for students to "spice it up". For example, I like getting the kids out of their desks and I know they enjoy it as well. During shared reading, we could sit in the floor in a circle with our text, and call it something like "Book Talk" (working title, lol). But it's something that makes it exciting for students and something they would look forward to. 

I hope to implement this in my classroom more in coming years. 

2 comments:

  1. Book Talks are an awesome way to practice Shared Reading with your students! I love that you are working to integrate reading with your content. One way to incorporate a shared reading without feeling like you are "sacrificing" your content time is to pick a book that complements one of your subjects/units. You can pull up an e-book on the ProBoard in order to share the reading experience with your students. It is a great way to model reading, and think aloud about what good readers do. It gives all students background knowledge for your content, as well! Over the years, I have used various titles for read-alouds that connected with math, science, and social studies. Please let me know if I can share any of those titles with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,
    I am excited about your Shared Reading implementation and I want to echo Nicole' suggestion of choosing a book that will integrate with your subjects/units. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete