Monday, April 4, 2016

Decken Blog 7: Routman Ch. 11

The quote at the start of this chapter immediately grabbed my attention!
"None of the exemplary teachers were tied to commercial materials.  Exemplary teachers taught children, and typical teachers taught programs." -Richard Allington

It brought me back to my senior year of high school when I met my teacher cadet teacher, Judy Anderson.  The one thing she ALWAYS emphasized to us was "teach people, not just a subject."  This has always been the thing that runs in the back of my mind when I get so caught up in lessons and the stress of teaching...am I doing all of this to simply teach a subject? If so, let it go. I always strive to make my focus teaching my students!!

Of course, good teachers always build off their best practices and re-evaluating/rethinking how they've taught something.  Like I mentioned a few blogs earlier...I've had to do just that this year! While my best practices didn't necessarily relate to teaching reading, it is still very true to take a step back and re-evaluate what you're doing.  If it's not working, change it. "There is no best program or perfect model." I couldn't have said it better myself!

2 comments:

  1. You are so right! We do not teach standards, we do not teach programs, we teach STUDENTS! Meeting them where they are and giving them what they need to be successful is our job. Being self-reflective is also important. The professional development with Mrs. Haun was so beneficial because everyone was reflective and looked at current practices. Many things were revised during those sessions! I agree with you that evaluating practices is so important. Our students are constantly changing and evolving and we have to evolve with them, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon,
    You and I both loved the quote from this text about exemplary teachers not being defined by mandated programs or prescriptive teaching. We do teach students and reflecting on our practices and our plans and being willing to make modifications that are in response to our students' needs and ensures helps ensure that we meet them where they are and grow them as learners. Thank you! Dawn

    ReplyDelete