Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Vickie Thompson-Routman Enjoy!

     Although this chapter was the briefest one, it held the most powerful advice to successful teaching and living....Enjoy!  It is so easy to get bogged down in the details and routines of teaching and living that I often forget to enjoy life!  I have so much to be thankful for and need to live my life with an attitude of thanksgiving and joy.  I need to ask myself often "What am I doing to ensure that the children in my room are joyful about coming to school and learning?"  "How can I make this experience count to the fullest?  "How can I motivate my students to reach their full potential?"What am I doing to make my own life richer?"  When I think back to the teachers I enjoyed the most they made me feel special, made learning fun and yes... they ENJOYED life!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Vicky,
    This last chapter was my very favorite too! Routman reminds us that the reason we came into teaching was to enjoy our students learning and to be a part of fostering their growth. While there are many components to consider in an effective reading program, if our reading instruction and independent reading time are not enjoyable for our students and for us, they are missing the mark. I am thankful that you are working everyday to ensure that your students enjoy their learning. Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how Routman ended with these thoughts! If we are not filled with joy, and spreading that joy to our students, then why are we here!?

    ReplyDelete