Monday, April 4, 2016

Suits- Blog Post 7- Routman Ch. 4

I'm not sure I remember walking into the doors of Anderson Mill not feeling the "sense of urgency" in my teaching.  Sometimes, yes, that is prompted by anxiety, but most of the time it comes from knowing and understanding the potential of every student that walks through my door.  I know they have average intelligence and are more than capable of learning. I know that they need a special teacher to influence then and instruct them in a different way than any other teacher in the building. I know that my students need to understand why the learn differently and how that understanding is so powerful for them.  I only have each group, each student for 50 minutes a day. I have so much to back in.  I try hard to make every minute count, whether its sharing weekends, decoding strategies, or a good book someone once read. I try my best for every conversation to have a direct purpose.

I want to do my students justice. I want the time they spend out of their general education classrooms to be more than worth it. I want the time in my room to make the difference in their education.  Lessons should be enjoyable, but involve a lot of different activities that allow to students to pracitce and express their learning.

2 comments:

  1. With the limited time you have with each student, I know you must feel that sense of urgency for sure! You definitely do them justice, Mollie! I know as a parent of one of your students, you work hard to build relationships with your students. With mutual respect as a foundation, you can make every minute count! The students want to please you, and they genuinely enjoy the time they spend with you. That is so important when they have to leave their general education classroom to be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mollie,
    I agree with Nicole that I do not think you could maximize your time any more than you already do and I know this sincere desire for each of your students to grow and to learn is one of the many reasons you were chosen by your peers as teacher of the year!

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete