Sunday, April 10, 2016

Laura Keller - Miller Section 2: Why not? What works? Jan/Feb blog

In each chapter that I read, I automatically reflect on what I am personally doing in the classroom. Sometimes I think, "yuck" I am really messing that up, and other times I think "woo hoo" I am doing this right!  When reading this chapter I automatically note that 3rd grade teachers are allowing time for Independent Reading.  Yay, we are doing that right!  We allow for time in the classroom and encourage reading at home by requiring a reading log.  We are doing okay with providing support.  I should be honest and say that my team teacher, who is the ELA teacher, has scaffolded successful strategies for Independent Reading since the beginning of the year.  When IR is happening in my classroom, I am more there for them to tell me about what they are reading.  I enjoy listening to their excitement and I also treasure that they are taking interest in the book.  Next year, I want to do a better job of structuring the Independent Reading time to allow myself more time to help and observe.

One of my favorite points of this chapter talks about all the different books and quantities of books that are needed in the classroom.  I identify with the author when she talks about her taste in reading:  newspaper, books about travel, and People!  I am not one who has a chapter book in my hand all the time.  So, in my classroom I respect the fact that the students need a variety to read.  They may all not want to read fiction.  This year has been wonderful since our administration has helped us purchase books to increase our variety.  This Summer I will spend more time organizing my library to include different genres.

Overall, this book, the class, and the climate in general have given me the will to want to be a more responsible and responsive reading teacher.

2 comments:

  1. Laura, I always appreciate your honesty and self-reflection! It is never too late to beef up your IR time! An easy next step would be to talk to them during your conference. After they read to you and retell the part they read, tell them two things you noticed they did well. (Such as, "I love how you read with expression. You also used your picture clues to figure out an unknown word. Using the pictures is a great strategy for determining unknown words.") Then give them one thing to work on. (Such as, "I noticed you sometimes ignored the punctuation as you were reading. Good readers pause slightly when they get to a period, question mark, or exclamation mark. This week when you read I want you to practice reading like this...(demonstrate). When we conference again I want you to read for me and try to pay attention to the punctuation.) Praising them and then giving them a way to improve will help meet the students individual needs. If we cam meet them "where they are" they cannot help but become better readers. Let me know if I can come and help in any way during your IR/Conference time. I would love to! I am also available for library assistance, too! Just let me know...Great reflection, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,
    Like Nicole, I really appreciate how honest you were in this post about where you are with independent reading and where you want to grow. Adding in a supportive component into independent reading such as mini-lessons that help students know what you expect them to do and providing strategies and modeling can help them improve their reading during independent reading. Having a formative assessment component can also help! Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete