Monday, April 4, 2016

Suits- Blog Post 6: Routman Ch. 10

Routman's definition of Guided reading is much more broad than mine.  I, like most teachers, have seen and was taught that Guided reading is done with a small group of students as you go through a text together.  Routman's definition involves many different aspects of reading, and is more individualized.  As a special education teacher, I love making instruction individualized! I like the idea of having students do group activities without the teacher.  I think that allowing students to participate in activities and discussions without the teacher, makes reading more enjoyable and fun.  It lets the students think and collaborate on their levels.  I know that after I read a book that I love, I want all my friends to hurry up and read it so we can talk about our favorite characters and story lines throughout the text.  I want my students to experience the same excitement for a book that I do.

I love that Routman provided us with checklists and a framework.  It provides us with lots of different strategies, skills, and even scripts to make sure that our students are gaining the most form our reading groups.  Allowing the flexible grouping gives teachers opportunity to teach to students needs rather than just plowing through a program. I appreciate that attention the guided reading model gives to individual readers.

2 comments:

  1. Mollie, I am sure it is challenging to meet the needs of all your learners when you are using a prescribed program like My Sidewalks. I love that you have reorganized your library and were able to add new books for your students this year! Allowing them time to independently read is a great way to teach independence, as well as give them time to practice the skills they are learning in your small group lessons. I am excited to see your library continue to evolve over the next few years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mollie,
    I too, felt that Routman's recommendation for flexible grouping was important and I appreciate the ways that you work to meet your students' needs and interests both individually and collectively when they come to you in small groups. Like Nicole, I appreciate the investment of time and thought you've put into your classroom library. Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete