Monday, April 4, 2016

Decken Blog 5: Routman Ch. 4

I feel that I already "teach with a sense of urgency"...as I am struggling to get all the standards taught! However, I need to take a step back on the anxiety meter and just let things roll as they come.  While I realize I DO have standards that I need to teach...what is more important is that the students are learning and getting where they need to be.  I don't need to stay in a place of complacency when it comes to teaching. I know that it is easy to go from year to year doing the same lesson plans and activities, but I need to plan my lessons around my specific group of kiddos that changes every year.  While the infrastructure of my plans can somewhat stay the same, maybe I change up how something is presented if I notice it didn't go over well one year.  I am especially seeing that this year with this particular group of 3rd graders. They do not catch onto things as easily has classes in years past.  I have had to S.L.O.W way down with skills and instruction.  (So much that I am keeping my fingers crossed that everything gets in before SC Ready.)

I really liked the point given about demonstrating "how to do it." This group this year needs that ALOT, so I've been doing it all year.  I guess I also kinda mix in shared demonstrating, too.  While I am demonstrating, I try to involve the students (partly because otherwise they will lose focus and partly because they need that) so that they fully understand what they are about to do independently.

2 comments:

  1. Shannon, it's awesome that you are able to apply what you are reading about in the Routman text to your math and science teaching. I also love that you are focusing on the students and their needs! It is better to spend more time to make sure the students understand, than it is to spend less time and "cover" more material. What are you doing for those who do understand the material while the others are still developing a skill? Your small group instruction time is a perfect time to differentiate your instruction to meet all students' needs! It sounds like you are doing a great job with the gradual release of responsibility model. It is beneficial in not only reading instruction, but math as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon,
    I appreciate how you are working to apply Routman's suggestions to your math and science teaching. Taking time to gauge student understanding and working to adjust and modify instruction to ensure that students understand takes more time but it definitely makes our instruction more effective because ti meets them where they are. Thank you! Dawn

    ReplyDelete