Friday, April 15, 2016

Laura Keller - Mar/Apr Blog Routman-You Only Have So Much Time

I am so glad that I saved my favorite Chapter for last.  This chapter was so helpful and I felt like it was speaking to me.  I have said many times that I can't go to dinner because I have to grade papers, enter grades, or organize my room.  Many times I tell my family that I can't cook dinner because I have too much work.  Although, the dinner thing is a convenient excuse.  Seriously!  I have wondered how so many teachers get out of here at a decent time during the week when I feel like I am here until 5 or 6.  This chapter helped me put a few things into perspective.

"Keep Work Meaningful"is the subject of one of the sections in the chapter and that did play what I want to do.  Do not just have work for them to do to fill time.  Make sure that every second counts. Also, keep lessons short while excitement is high.  This chapter does only reference reading, but I could see how many of the suggestions in this could work in my Math or Science class.

The section of the chapter that talked about making work sensible and pleasurable before the bell rings in the morning.  I never thought about the students perspective.  This was a good check to make me think about what I would like to do first thing when I come in, in the morning.

All in all this chapter put some better perspective to some of the routines I have in my class.  One thing for sure, is that I will stop giving out so many things that I have to check.  I feel like that is what consumes most of my time..

2 comments:

  1. When I read that you "I have said many times that I can't go to dinner because I have to grade papers, enter grades, or organize my room," my heart ached a little that you were sacrificing your family time to grade work, etc. I get it, I used to as well. One of my professional goals for next year is to have each grade level look at what might be eating up our personal time and see if we can work on still meeting those "grade requirements." I want to work to gather useful data on our students, that won't require you to grad a worksheet! I can assist with creating rubrics that will allow you to grade existing practices in your classroom. For example, you are doing IR in your room everyday. Can't we create a rubric for those who conference with you and those who share the strategy you had them working on during IR? By the end of a two week period, that should be 1-2 grades for reading! I am excited about working with you to find ways to assess our students in authentic ways...and in ways that will give you some family time back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,
    While I, too spend time in the evenings preparing for the next day and grading work, I agree with Nicole that we need to work smarter, not harder in figuring out ways to meaningfully assess student work and provide feedback to promote growth that isn't tied to grading a worksheet. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete