Monday, April 4, 2016

Terri Gowdy – Blog 7 – March/April – Ch 6 & 7 – Plan for and Monitor IR/Make Assessment Instruction’s Working Partner



I had skimmed through these chapters, but finally read them from beginning to end! After trying to do a complete “overhaul” on my classroom library at the beginning of the year, I think I was afraid I would find out I had done I all wrong – and I could not bear the thought of that! J Actually, what was confirmed in reading these chapters was that I am on the right track, but that my classroom library will be in a constant state of change and development, depending on the needs and interests of my students. That has certainly been true for me this year.

I gained some great insight and helpful reminders in this chapter. One thing is to DE-emphasize their reading levels, and rely on teaching them to be skilled in choosing “just right books”. I do check their book choices through conferencing, but I do find myself encouraging my lower readers, in particular, to read on their correct reading level. I realized the woes of my ways when one of these emergent readers had a shark book in his book box that was 2 levels higher than he should be reading. When I conferenced with him he pulled it out to read to me. I was about to tell him it was not on his “level”, when to my surprise, he began to read it to me! His obvious passion for sharks had provided him with enough information to figure out much of the vocabulary in this book. I was so proud of him, and ashamed of myself! It confirmed that choice is critical in successful reading, and that reading about a topic of interest can stretch a reader’s performance! This chapter also reminded me of the importance of nonfiction for my class library. I am planning to increase the accessibility of nonfiction titles and periodicals (Time for Kids, etc.) and how they are sorted for selection.

In reference to the chapter on Assessment, I have found monitoring the students as they practice reading is critical for me to know exactly how they are doing as readers. I try to see 3 to 4 students each day during independent reading. I try to do mini lessons as well to enhance their getting the most out of reading. I loved the “Chatterbox” ideas on page 89 to add to their engagement, as well as encouraging them to apply strategies we are working on in class to their independent reading books.  I want my first graders to be “successful, self-regulating, self-monitoring readers” and I am finding that the imperative element in achieving that is through the type of independent reading model described in this chapter.

2 comments:

  1. Terri, you are so right about your library being in a constant state of change. I always felt like my library evolved each year to reflect the interests of my readers. The story of your "shark reader" blessed me. You should not feel ashamed, you should feel proud. Proud of yourself for letting his attempt to read it to you! Many teachers, with good intentions at heart, would have told him that it wasn't his dot color and moved on. You, however trusted in his choice to at least give it a try and because you did, you learned so much about him as a reader. You also learned something that will shape you decisions for years to come, all because you allowed him to share a book that interested him. All of the additions and tweaks to your IR time will definitely lead to students who are more successful, self-regulated, and more able to self-monitor. I was very impressed with their ability to stay engaged during my data collection in your classroom! I can't wait to see how they continue to grow as independent readers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terri,
    You are not alone...my classroom library went through changes every single year and I believe that our libraries and our instruction should be malleable in order to grow and change as we grow and change and especially to adapt to our students' needs and interests. I too, loved your shark reader example and I appreciate so much the fact that you went with your gut and gave him choice and he was able to share this book. Thank you! Dawn

    ReplyDelete