Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Vickie Thompson-Routman Chapter 2-Bond with Your Students

  I thoroughly enjoyed reading this chapter on bonding with our students. Routman says, "Until we reach into our students' hearts, we have no entry into their mind!"  Wow!" That about sums it up, doesn't it?So how do we go about reaching into their hearts? I believe that our responsibility as educators it to make EVERY child feel loved, respected, and successful. This in turn enables them to reach their maximum potential both academically and socially.  Of course this occurs at different rates and times with each individual child. I totally concur with the following suggestions Routman gives to help speed up this process:
1.Ensure EARLY success for every child-make each child shine no matter how small the success.
2.Model Respect-this is a huge one.  I believe it is imperative to treat EACH child with respect.
3.Encourage shared decision making- we are one, big, happy family for the year and everyone has to make their contributions and share responsibilities.
4. Tell the stories of your life-this one in HUGE!  My kids are always more engaged when I am sharing stories with them about my daughter, Alexis and my dog, Lady. They want to hear what I do outside of AMES:)
5. Read stories aloud-YES!
6. Learn about their reading lives at home.
Another obvious suggestion would be LISTEN to them.  I try to get to know my students better by talking with them at lunch, recess, small group and by attending their after school events.  It is amazing the things I can learn about my students when I actively seek to know them better and ask meaningful questions because" you can't bond with someone you don't know!"

2 comments:

  1. Hi Vicky,
    You and I both transacted with Routman's quote from this chapter, ""Until we reach into our students' hearts, we have no entry into their mind!" I agree with her wholeheartedly that how we interact with students and what we value is just as important as what we teach. I am glad that this chapter provided you with some great suggestions to help ensure that your reading instruction is enjoyable. Many of the items on the list I know you already do so I hope this read was also encouraging to you. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonding is something I know you do well! It is obvious that you get to know your students as readers and as PEOPLE! I used to love watching your class play kickball together. To them, you are playing a game, but to others we know you are busy building lifelong, lasting relationships!

    ReplyDelete