Monday, April 11, 2016

Beth Sullivan-March/April Blog 7: Routman Chapter 10-Examine Guided Reading

          I enjoyed reading this chapter and it has changed the way that I look at guided reading. Early in the chapter Routman shares that she has a broad view of guided reading.  Routman defines guided reading as “any learning context in which the teacher guides one or more students through some aspect of the reading process: choosing books, making sense of text, decoding and defining words, reading fluently, monitoring one’s  comprehension, determining the author’s purpose, and so on” (p. 151).  I have always pictured guided reading as just reading groups usually with a high, middle and low group.  After reading this chapter I now know that I have had a very narrow view of guided reading. Routman points out that the traditional small-group guided reading lesson is the core of guided reading but an informal reading conference can also become a guided reading lesson.   Routman also stresses the importance of carefully grouping students and keeping those groups flexible.  I agree flexible grouping is so important!  Students grow, achieve and develop skills at many different rates and in order to truly meet their needs movement between groups is essential.  This is something that I did not do a very good job of early in my teaching career.  I worked hard to group students for reading but those groups rarely changed. Finally, Routman also addresses the importance of picking quality books and using time wisely.  She is quick to point out that guided reading is important but that it should not take up the majority of reading instruction in the classroom.  Independent reading time should still be the first priority. 

                Routman devoted a whole section of this chapter to guided reading and literacy activities in a kindergarten classroom.  I am always eager to learn more about what reading and writing should look like in a kindergarten classroom.  Routman emphasizes that young students need to be involved in activities that allow them to develop social, emotional and physical skills in addition to academic skills. Literacy activities need to be meaningful and not just busy work.  She shares that many kindergarten teachers do not have guided reading groups but provide many reading and writing opportunities for students throughout the school day.  As I read this section I reflected on my own classroom and the learning experiences that I provide for my students.  I found that many of the reading and writing activities shared in this chapter are reflected in my classroom.  For example, each student in my classroom has their own book basket with carefully selected books.   Additionally, during the first half of the school year I spend a great deal of time on letter and sound work.  This continues all year for students that need it.  I also read aloud daily to my students, have a daily morning message, provide daily writing activities and integrate science and social studies skills and concepts during reading and writing times.  I think the biggest change in my literacy instruction has been the addition of a daily independent reading time.  While I do not have a traditional guided reading time in my classroom I do have small group reading time each day.  AMES kindergarten uses a program called Read Well Small Group.  This program provides direct instruction on reading and phonics skills and provides opportunities for shared reading and guided reading in a small group setting.  Comprehension and oral language work is also built into the program.  This program provides high quality books, ongoing assessment and allows for flexible grouping.  While this program is not perfect it does enable students to work in small groups and on skills that best help them grow as readers.  Finally, I love how Routman stresses that in order for teachers to make the best decisions for students the focus should be on learner-centered reading instead of program-centered reading.  Student needs change and taking the time to reflect on the programs and learning opportunities we provide for our students is important in order to make sure that we are best meeting their needs. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Beth,
    Like you I loved Routman's chapter on guided reading and found her suggestions to be relevant and helpful. I am glad that you agree with her suggestion to keep the guided reading groups flexible. I appreciated the suggestions she gave for each component of effective guided reading and what was most helpful for me was being able to see the guided reading in action lessons at the back of the chapter. Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, I love how you said that students' needs change, and that we should take the time to reflect on programs and learning opportunities we provide for our students in order to make sure that we are best meeting their needs! Conducting IR time and conferencing with your students during this time will help you assess your students' needs to determine what he/she needs and if the lessons provided through ReadWell are transferring to their independent reading time!

    ReplyDelete