Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Beth Sullivan-January/February Blog #6 Routman Ch. 6 & 7: Plan for and Monitor Independent Reading/Make Assessment Instruction’s Working Partner

         I have always thought that I was providing time for my students to read independently but what I was actually having my students do was sustained silent reading. Last school year I began to implement a daily independent reading time. My goal for this year has been to improve on my classroom library as well as finding a conferencing system that works for me and is a benefit to my students.  This chapter provided insight into the difference between sustained silent reading and independent reading as well as the research supporting independent reading.  I love how Routman points out that giving struggling readers good reading instruction is not enough.  They also need time to read!  My students have made great gains in reading this year and I know that it is largely due to the early implementation of independent reading.  Last year I did not begin independent reading until after Christmas this year I started it in September. This chapter also addressed independent reading time in a kindergarten classroom.  Even though, especially early in the year, many kindergarten students are not yet reading there are many important skills that can be taught through independent reading.  Routman shared that independent reading in a kindergarten classroom is a great way for students to develop positive feelings and attitudes about reading.  I agree!  Finally, Chapter Six provided insight on partner reading.  I have had my students do some partner reading but this is an area that I would like to develop and have my students participate in more often.  My kindergarten students are excited and eager to read and are very proud of their own reading progress. I think that partner reading is a great way to help them use new reading skills and gain independence.  I also know that they will enjoy reading together. 

Chapter Seven focused on making assessments count.  I enjoyed the focus on using informal reading conferences to assess the reading skills and achievement of students.  Reading conferences are big part of my reading assessments.  It is so true that reading conferences should be relaxed and a positive experience for students.   My goal is to conference with each of my students at least once a week.  This often does not happen.  Routman points out that teachers should meet with struggling readers at least once a week and the rest of the students at least once a month.  This makes me feel so much better!  I have been very concerned that I am not getting to all of my students each week.  While my goal is still to meet with every student each week I know that my priority should be on my struggling readers.  Finally, I found the framework for an informal reading conference very helpful.  There were many great ideas in this section.  One of the big areas that I know that I need to work on during conferencing with my students is goal setting.  I often feel like the goals are my goals for them and that I have not allowed them to take an active role in setting the goal.   I also need to do a better job of helping them understand what progress they have made in reading and in achieving their goal or goals. I love independent reading time and my students love independent reading time!  I wish I had read these two chapters years ago!

2 comments:

  1. Great insight, Beth! Partner reading has many benefits! It allows students to take turns reading and provide each other with feedback as a way to monitor comprehension. It can provide a fluent model for students who struggle with fluency, and it can also provide direct opportunities for a teacher to circulate in the class, observe students, and offer individual remediation. I am available to help you plan some lessons to continue to implement partner reading with your students. Let me know if you are interested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth,
    You always have the most thoughtful blog posts. I agree with you and Routman that partner reading promotes social interaction, comprehension, and it can build fluency. I am thankful that you are intentional about how you can provide this opportunity to your students. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete