Monday, February 29, 2016

Jill McDougald's Jan./Feb. Blog Post #6 NOT THIS Is There Enough Time? And Is Time Enough to Support Independent Reading? Section 1, Miller

In Section 1, Miller states that children need to read a lot to be "thoughtful, strategic, and proficient readers".  She talks about students and teachers reading independently during SSR/DEAR.  This is a great idea for all to be reading BUT there are kinks in this practice.  First, she talks about finding time in our day for independent reading time as being very important.  Then students need to be monitored and given feedback to help them grow as readers.  If this isn't done, some students may struggle quietly in their own little reading spot without the teacher even realizing it.

After reading this section, I need to help my students understand before they start independent reading time, they need to be reading books that are meaningful and enjoyable to them.   During my conference time, my feedback will guide them in making their choices next time they are finding "the just right" book for them.  I hope after encouraging them a couple times, they will make the right choice for them to experience successes in their reading.  I also need to help the student gain meaning from what they have read. I know I need to keep my students motivated and engaged during independent reading time. I also realize my students need to be given more opportunities to read during the day not just during independent reading time.

2 comments:

  1. First grade as a whole does such an amazing job with conferencing during IR! The time and effort you all took to establish an IR structure in your room paid off! Jill, your caring rapport with your students shined through when I watched you conference with your students. No learning can take place in an environment where the students do not feel loved. It is obvious how much you care for them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill,
    I agree with Nicole 100%! I have loved reading about how each of you as first grade teachers has not only prioritized independent reading this year, but you've worked to include the effective components of conferencing and mini-lessons informed by conferencing to help meet students where they are and work to get them where they need to go! Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete