Monday, March 7, 2016

M. Butler Blog #5 Routman Ch.5 on Classroom library

This was the most enjoyable chapter that I have read thus far in this book! My reading rug had been getting out of control as the year has progressed. I was immediately drawn to this chapter as I have been searching for guidance and support with re-organizing my own reading area and classroom library. THE most important function of the reading area in our classroom is to provide children with a nice, comfortable, organized and inviting area for them the RELAX and enjoy a book. I would say that the "light reading" that was referred to in the chapter would be what I encourage the most while students are in the reading center. They work so hard all day long learning how to read sight words, segment and blend words for word reading, practice reading strategies, work on comprehension, etc.....I really want reading center time to be easy/light and enjoyable.

I selected this as my "project" for my coaching cycle with our school's literacy coach. She came one several days and collected data. We met afterwards and she gave me some really great ideas on how to re-gain the "calm" on the Reading Rug! :) I made a poster which provides a visual support regarding the expectations(rules) on the rug. Students have to "book shop" for their center time books first. They can select 4 books from either the reading rug or the non-fiction book baskets. The can read independently or read with a partner. The last rule is the best!! Previously the students were coming out of the center constantly to find a teacher to share something they found in their book - which is GREAT! This was disruptive; however, to the other things going on in the room. Now students use sticky notes to 'flag" something they want to share. After we clean-up and circle up on the carpet, the 2 students in reading center that day get to share 1 page in a book that they read. They LOVE this! :) They may show a sight word they found, a picture they love, a sentence they could read, etc. Routman also talked about involving the students in the creation and maintenance of the classroom library. They have enjoyed helping get it organized and talking with each other about the new rules. We are all enjoying our re-organized reading space! Students look forward to going to the reading center again. I also plan to create a library check-out system at some point. I want all of my students to have access to books everyday - even if they don't have any at home. Read on! :)

2 comments:

  1. Michelle, I am so glad our coaching cycle benefited your students! It sounds like they are getting so much out of reading with one another and sharing things they have found in their books. I bet you are learning more about them as readers based on what they choose to share, as well! Let me know if I can help you with a check out system. I can come down during planning or after school one day to discuss some different options!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle,
    I loved learning about your coaching cycle and how this impacted you and your students. I am thankful for the time you are providing your students to engage in independent reading and the opportunities they have to choice their own books. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete