Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Nicole Brown, Blog Post 6: Routman, Ch. 5 “Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library”

This month I have poured over teacher orders of BOOKS! Thankfully, our principal sees the value and worth of a well-stocked classroom library and told each teacher to make a wish list. Our students whose homes may not be filled with piles and piles of books depend on having access to lots of books in our classrooms. The additions to our classroom libraries will be a welcome sight. I can’t wait to help teachers organize all their new books!

As I read this chapter, there were a few key points that stood out to me that I feel passionately about. One is “Be sure to include and value light reading.” While I know our struggling readers can benefit from these books, I would say we ALL benefit from picture books. When I go to Barnes and Noble, I don’t go straight to the chapter books. I head straight for the picture books because I LOVE them! There is something to be said for reading for pure enjoyment.  I am pretty sure I have never been harmed by reading a picture book that was way below my reading level and stamina potential. Upper grade classrooms need to be filled with not only chapter books, but light reading as well. Picture books make great read-alouds and are a good quick read for modeling in mini-lessons. There is a lot to be gained from being able to witness an entire plot structure, theme, etc. from short book. Many teachers may fear that students cannot be trusted not to ALWAYS pick reading material that is below their “reading levels.” Routman however suggests that “it doesn’t really matter much what kids read as long as they read and enjoy what they’re reading.”

Another key point Routman shared was to “de-emphasize leveled books.” If given a choice of a varied assortment of books with leveled readers mixed in, I believe most elementary-aged children would not gravitate towards the leveled readers. (This sounds like an awesome science experiment!) I truly believe that students can (and will) discover by trial and error what book is a good fit for them.  By going through this process of learning, students will find books they didn’t know interested them. They may be challenged more by what they are choosing when we aren’t limiting them. In the real world, I cannot tell someone that I can’t read something because it isn’t on “my level,” and our students won’t have that excuse either!

Another key point Routman made was to make book talk “hot” in your classrooms. I have been collecting Independent Reading student engagement data in some first grade classrooms this month. At the conclusion of the IR time, many classrooms have engaged in a “Book Talk.” It has been amazing to see these young students excited about what they have read. They appear to absolutely love to talk about their favorite part, what it reminds them of, something exciting that happened, what made them choose the book, why they would or would not recommend the story to their classmates, etc. The students know this will take place, so I believe it gives them a purpose for reading. As they are reading they are searching for things that they could share with their peers. The “Book Talk” in my opinion assists with keeping the students engaged during their 25 minute block of time. These students could easily be taught to write a book review based on their daily success with “Book Talks” each day!

As I prepare for an influx of books in our building, Routman has given me a lot to think about! If anyone is interested in letting the student decide how the books will be sorted and organized, I would love to come assist with facilitating! J




2 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole,
    Thank you for the time and thought you continually put in to each aspect of your coaching role. You have worked tirelessly all year to support teachers in their understanding and implementation of independent reading and everything that goes into this endeaver, including organizing classroom libraries and ordering student books. It's easy to not provide choice but this ownership makes all the difference! Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. New books--how exciting!! And what a great quote to center the collaborative work of organizing all these new books: "it doesn’t really matter much what kids read as long as they read and enjoy what they’re reading.”

    ReplyDelete