Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Emily Plumley - November - Teach With a Sense of Urgency

In this chapter, the author discusses teaching with a sense of urgency, but not in a way that means we need to teach at a fast pace, constantly moving, leaving the kids behind us. This sense of urgency means its so important for us to pay attention to our students, and their wants and needs. And it means that we need to make every moment in our classrooms count. 

I absolutely agree with this. I want my students to know that I genuinely care about them and how they're doing. And I want them to know that I'm interested in the different ways they learn things and figure things out on their own. 

A quote I enjoyed from the chapter said that, "Teachers who read with young children and promote productive talk about stories are more likely to expand children’s language development." I really enjoy doing read alouds with my students because they get so hooked onto the story and it opens discussion about the story and the way the author writes something. It even encourages them to venture out and read the book on their own, or try and stay ahead of me. If doing a simple read aloud is something that will motivate my students to want to read, I will do one every year, and every day (if possible....lol). 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily,
    I have always enjoyed a great read aloud and made that a routine part of my classroom routine because my students enjoyed it. Routman validates intentional read alouds and how they help promote language development. One suggestion I have is to consider implementing read alouds in your content areas too. It doesn't have to be a whole book either. It could also be a passage or an article. Every little bit helps. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved doing daily read-alouds! There is nothing better than bonding over a shared reading experience. It allows for opportunities to model what good readers are thinking while reading, as well. I have a basket of read-alouds that are math oriented. Stop by the lounge and look through them, or I can bring them to you, if you wish! They are great hooks for introducing math units and/or reviewing units already taught.

    ReplyDelete