Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Rachel Johnson- Routman- Chapter 5

            In this chapter, Routman discusses the importance of an efficient classroom library.  Notice I did not say the importance of having a classroom library.  Having an array of books in your classroom is not enough.  The books have to be applicable to your students.  These books not only have to challenge your students but also offer them fulfillment as readers.  The book selection needs to broaden their reading horizons while still offering comfort reads.  This task is not easy.

            Routman stresses that in order for students to develop and grow as readers they have to have books to read.  I will be honest, my first thought was, “Duh.”  But then I really thought about my students and what she was saying.  Sometimes I have trouble remembering that every child is not like my two children at home.  I would hazard a guess that my two children literally have hundreds of books at home available for them to read ranging from pictures books to chapter books.  That is hundreds of books for just two children.  Some of the children in my classroom do not have this luxury.  For some, the only books they have available to them are in our school library and my classroom library.  For these children especially it is essential that I have a well stocked classroom library.  

2 comments:

  1. You are right, Rachel! Many of our students do not have a lot of exposure to books at home. In the past I have had students who I would discover had 10+ books from our library stuffed in their book bags. Instead of being angry, I was happy. I knew there was a reason the child was taking a lot of books home with them. If they had books, they wouldn't be trying so desperately to get books. I love that they had a passion for reading and was wanting and seeking books to read! Rachel, it is so awesome that you see the importance of a varied and plentiful classroom library in your social studies classroom. Your students are so lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel,
    I agree with you that it is important that we, as teachers not only have a plethora of books in our classroom library, but that we also take time to ensure that there are books that fit our students' interests, that we take time to integrate the books into our teaching and most importantly, that we provide time for students in all subject areas to read and to read widely. Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete