Saturday, September 5, 2015

Donna Lowe Blog Post #2 Routman Chapter 3

One day last week I hurriedly stuck a note in each one of my first grader's homework folder's that said, "Please let your child bring in a favorite book from home to share with the class tomorrow."  The next morning at 7:30am I was amazed as 19 children were begging to show me their books at the door.  Honestly, in the early morning rush of getting myself and my family ready for the day I had not thought once about those books yet.  In fact, it took me a second to figure out why everyone was shoving a variety of books in my face at 7:30am.  But once I did, it was so sweet.  I saw a Llama Llama book, a little golden book (the ones with the gold on the edges), a Minecraft book, a Treasury of FairyTales, and so many more.  Yes, I did have one or two who forgot their book apologizing for not bringing theirs, but thankfully I have baskets full of books for them to choose from.  One thing I noticed was this:  It doesn't matter if you are rich or poor, have new books from Barnes and Noble, old books from the attic, books from a yard sale - children will love books if they become available to them.  They love the pictures, the colors, the animals, the superheroes, and the chance to pretend that they are part of the book.  Most of all, they relate to the person who introduced the book(s) to them.  They will remember who sat and read that Little Golden book with them in the rocker.  So, I think that as Routman suggests that we create a classroom library and an effective independent reading program, it is essentially the connection that a teacher and a student make as readers.  Routman states, "Our students admire us and want to emulate us." I agree.  Young students want more than anything to connect or share something in common with their teacher.  When we, as teachers display our love of reading books and provide books and time to sit together to read, a connection is made.  Over the years I have shared my love of the Magic Tree House series.  I have started with number 1 each year and some years have gotten as far as #28.  All of my students, past and present, know that MTH are my most favorite books.  We have even had parties where the students could dress up like their favorite Jack and Annie character from their favorite MTH book.  Kids come back to me the next year showing off which MTH book they are reading. I have chosen those books because they relate to boys and girls.  There is a main boy character and a main girl character in each book.  I understand, as Routman discusses, that we must help students find books that interest them.  To close, as my students "turned-and-talked" about their favorite books to one another that day last week, they were enjoying discussing their books.  As they shared out loud about what they had learned about their partner's favorite book, they were quoting full titles and authors names.  They were about learning new books from one another.  Sometimes they can teach one another better than I could have done.  The connection between books and people help make reading enjoyable for so many children and adults.

3 comments:

  1. Donna, this brought joy to my heart this morning! I love how you invited each child to bring their favorite books from home. I can imagine the conversations that were had in each home that night. Your students were talking about books at home and with each other. Your love of reading is evident in your enthusiasm and I know your students have noticed and will definitely continue to grow in their own love, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a great idea and one that I might steal :) I know my kindergartners would be super excited to share their favorite book with the class! I also love how you share your favorite books with your class each year and establish that connection with them by displaying your love of reading. Our young students definitely think its "cool" to do what their teachers do or to find something in common with them. Leading by example can be a powerful tool in the classroom to help students develop a love for books and reading. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna,
    I absolutely LOVED this post! I loved that you had your students bring in their favorite books and that you stopped to relish in them and relive the positive experiences they had listening to them being read by someone who loved and cared for them. My favorite quote from your post is, "It doesn't matter if you are rich or poor, have new books from Barnes and Noble, old books from the attic, books from a yard sale - children will love books if they become available to them. They love the pictures, the colors, the animals, the superheroes, and the chance to pretend that they are part of the book. Most of all, they relate to the person who introduced the book(s) to them. They will remember who sat and read that Little Golden book with them in the rocker." Our students do emulate us and they remember what was most important to us. I want to leave every year with teachers and students knowing I loved them and that together we loved to read and to write and to learn. Thank you for giving them this opportunity too! Sincerely, Dawn Mitchell

    ReplyDelete