Monday, September 14, 2015

Beth Sullivan Blog Post #1-Routman Chapter 3

The focus of this chapter was sharing your reading life with your students as well as offering practical strategies and suggestions that can be implemented in the classroom that allow students to have choice and make decisions about what they are reading. As I read this chapter I couldn’t help but reflect on my own school experiences with reading.  I still remember that my fifth grade teacher read each book from The Chronicles of Narnia series aloud to the class. I do not think I missed a day of the fifth grade because I wanted to find out what would happen next.  I also remember laboring through some not so fun books during high school. I love to read!  I want my students to love to read.  I love sharing books and reading aloud to my students.  I want my students to be excited about learning to read and reading. 

I enjoyed reading this chapter.  There were many thoughts and ideas that stood out to me.  First, I love the idea of talking with and asking students why they think we spend so much time reading.  This is a great way for teachers to gain insight on how their students view reading.   Next, I liked Routman’s suggestion that as teachers we should not only share what we are currently reading with our students but we should also talk with them about what we plan on reading next and how we decide what we are going to read next.  This is a great idea for a mini lesson.  I loved the idea of keeping a class chart of favorite authors and a basket of recommended books.  This would provide guidance for students that are struggling to decide what to read and also create interest in books.  Other great ideas from the chapter include providing time for students to recommend books to one another and finding a way for students to keep a record or list of books that they want to read as well as establishing a system to keep track of the books that students have read.  Learning to read is a huge part of kindergarten.  I want my students to be excited about what they are reading. Even though the majority of my students are emergent readers there are many ways that I can nurture a love of reading in my students while also helping them take ownership of their own reading and reading choices.

2 comments:

  1. Beth,
    I also found the class chart to be a neat idea. I think our kindergartners would be excited about choosing books from the class "favorites" bucket! If they see that their friends like certain books, they may be more encouraged to check out that book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth,
    I love to read too and the Chronicles of Narnia is one of my favorite series of all time. You shared how you agreed with Routman's belief in chapter 3 that as teachers we need to work to foster a love of reading in our students and you highlighted a few of the strategies she suggested that you could use in your kindergarten class. I believe your students would love a "Now" and "Next" chart or bulletin board where they could share pictures of the books they are reading now and pictures of the books they want to read next. I agree that even our youngest readers can develop a love for reading and this can drive their motivation for learning how to read and continuing to read. Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete