Thursday, September 10, 2015

Anna Johnson Blog Post 2- Share your Reading Life

Growing up reading was not always my favorite thing. I felt as if it was pushed on me more than me choosing to read for pleasure. The older I get I am shocked how much I love teaching reading. I teach to beginning readers and love when they can put sounds together for the first time and makes words. After reading this chapter I realized I need to take a look at my own reading life in order for me to help my beginning readers.          

A teaching tip Routman gave was to examine your own reading life in order to determine what is important for your students and your classroom. If you are not an avid reader, think about becoming one because it is hard to model something that is unfamiliar to you. If students do not read for pleasure they are not likely to make reading a lifelong habit or a goal. Reading is already very difficult for my students so for them to want to read for pleasure and to make it a habit or goal is a major task for them to overcome. Another point Routman stresses is having a personal library. I am continuing working on growing my own classroom library. I know most of my students do not have access to an amble library at home. In order for my students to have higher reading achievement I plan on providing those books in my classroom and instilling a love for reading in my students. 

2 comments:

  1. I love how you are looking for ways to motivate your students to read for pleasure. Having a child with a learning disability that affects his ability to read, I have longed for the day that he would read something by choice and not by force. I am beginning to see some pleasure reading for the first time this year! For him, it was a long process that was built upon him building his confidence and then him being exposed to various books on topics he would find interesting. Before he would even want to look at books I presented to him, he had to feel like a successful reader! I am sure self-confidence is something you work on daily with your students, as well. I also love how you are working on building your classroom library. Until you are able to build it up to where you want it, I am happy to pull library books for you if you can give me a list of topics and levels that would suit your students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna,
    I loved reading that how as a child reading wasn't your favorite past time, but now as an adult you enjoy it! In your blog post you mentioned how Routman's point that we as teachers need to practice what we preach as readers compelled you to examine your own reading life. Modeling is an effective strategy and when we model real world reading behaviors of proficient, active readers such as book talks and book browsing, and getting caught up in a text that you don't want to put down all help us provide our students with relevant mini-lessons that not only promotes student reading achievement but helps foster a love for reading. I also loved that you are expanding your classroom library. Thanks, Dawn Mitchell

    ReplyDelete