Saturday, September 26, 2015

Jill McDougald's August Blog Post 1: Reading Essentials, Ch. 3 Share Your Reading Life

In chapter 3 of Routman's Reading Essentials the author has numerous helpful tips to make me a better reading teacher.  The author expressed that it is important to tell your students why you read.  I often tell my students why we need to learn to read because we have to follow directions, read newspapers, read text messages, read magazines and read books. 

It is always disheartening when I ask my students, "Why do we have to learn to read?"  and they respond  with, "Because we have to."  I feel it is important to establish a responsibility for reading and give my students real life reasons to show the importance of reading.

The text emphasized the importance of modeling reading whether it is whole group, small group, or independent reading.  I tell my students that even though it may sound silly, they can practice reading to their favorite stuffed animal, action figure, or doll.  This helps them practice fluency, practice reading aloud, and establish a purpose to read.  I tell my students that I like to read books to Kelsey so that I can practice before I come to school and read to them.

3 comments:

  1. I think it is great to stress and show students the importance of reading. It is a major skill that is used for all reasons from communication to legal documents. However, it also needs to be fun for each student so they feel excited about reading! I love the idea of reading to some of their favorite toys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are sharing your reading life with your students. It is a great way to connect with them and show them that reading is important to you in and out of school. I can picture your students reading to their stuffed animals! You could encourage them to read aloud to someone (or something) once a week for their "at home" reading. What a great authentic way to build their fluency!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jill,
    Chapter 3 is one of my favorite chapters because in it, Routman reminds us that we are our students' best reading model because we are able to share with our students a real example of our reading lives. Modeling is a very effective tool and can be powerful at helping students see what and why and how proficient readers read and it can open the doors to conversations about who they are as readers and what their interests are. Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete