Monday, September 21, 2015

Kelli Smith Blog Post #1 The Habit of Kidwatching



After reading the article, The Habit of Kidwatching, by Timothy O'Keefe, I have a better understanding of just how valuable this tool really is.  I find in my classroom that I am constantly keeping data on each student but it is not necessarily related to literacy specifically.  How fun  it is to actually be watching each student as they interact with a book.  I keep a nice selection of a wide variety of books that are high interest to my students.  I find it enjoyable to just sit and listen and watch them turn the pages, see the pictures and then be able to answer comprehension questions or at least tell me something from the book in their own words.  I have special needs students who are functioning on the preschool level but they can still take a picture walk on their own while I look on.  Kidwatching will allow me to get to know each individual’s strengths as well as areas that need improvement.  I will be able to use this as a form of assessment in order to help meet the individual and unique needs of all of my students.  

2 comments:

  1. I know in the classroom whenever any of our special students are able to correctly interact with the book and provide feedback it is very exciting. As special educators we are constantly collecting data and learning new ways to collect data is always fun and interesting because it allows us to get to know each student more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the time I spent in your classroom a few weeks ago. It was interesting to see the varying levels of early literacy development in your special needs classroom. I loved how each student's needs were being met during the shared reading experience- some were sitting with an assistant, some were sitting independently with a book, and one was snuggled in a basket! I am glad you are using kidwatching to continue to meet the needs of your students!

    ReplyDelete