Monday, September 14, 2015

Michelle Lanford -Post 2 : The Habit of Kidwatching



     As I read the article, The Habit of Kidwatching, I began to feel more comfortable with the idea. I have always done this sort of thing, but never really wrote it down mainly for lack of time. Or if I did keep the records, it was for those students that you just have to have documentation on for behavior reasons.  I can see how keeping simple records can help a teacher see patterns in a child’s behaviors as a reader and otherwise. I also see the value in keeping records on all the children, not just the more challenging one, and recording positive things that are noticed.  I was glad to read that the records kept can be very informal and short. I think it is also important that there is really no right or wrong way to record kidwatching. Teachers come up with the system that works best for them. I like the idea of just using a roster to be sure that you are getting to each child after a certain point. I am going to try recording something about each child each day as suggested by O’Keefe. I agree that just a number or letter on a test does not really paint a picture of the whole child. I also think these records would be great to refer back to in parent conferences. 

5 comments:

  1. Michelle-You are not alone in your struggle of record keeping. I tend to go to one extreme or the other. I either write everything down or see many things I should be writing down and intend to do it later but later never happens. Several years ago I started using rosters and checklists to help keep me focused and organized. This system works well for me. I agree with O'Keefe record keeping is a constantly evolving process. What works well for one teacher might not work for another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle the discussion goes on and on but it's through discussion and feedback we are able to grow and become better. I have also tried several different means of kidwatching but the key is using the notes taken in whatever form as an useful tool to provide growth for the student.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, Michelle, keeping running records is a new idea for me as well. I have been trying a few things and I have realized that it does help to write things down, even just short notes. I have also found it makes me more intentional about either watching/conferencing with all of my students and not letting some of them slip by. Of course, the students are also very aware when I am watching them, so that helps them stay on task.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last year, I went to a piece of notebook paper for my kidwatching and conferencing notes. It felt freeing to know I was not bound by a form, no boxes to check off, and I was able to have a more natural interaction with the student. I could write as little or as much as I deemed necessary. I learned so much about my students when I ditched all the forms and checklists. There are times when such things are needed, but I found the kids being more honest with me when they saw I was simply taking notes on what they were doing and what was being said. I found myself referencing these notes with parents. It was easier for me to remember what happened and what was said because I had written it down. I can't wait to hear how your notes evolve over the course of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michelle,
    I appreciate that you want to apply some of the suggestions from O'Keefe's article on kidwatching. Our consistent actions become our habits, and our habits can drive our instruction. Starting the daily habit of writing a piece of observational data down each day about each one of our students is not only a powerful practice of valuing and validating what our students are doing as readers and writers, but it is also over time a record of who they are and what we noticed. This practice can't but help to influence our planning, our conversations, and our conferencing. Thank you! Dawn Mitchell

    ReplyDelete