Monday, September 14, 2015

Michelle Lanford Post 1- Routman Chapter 3

While reading chapter 3 I honestly felt a little at a disadvantage. I did not grow up loving reading. I am still not an “avid reader” by some definitions. Let me explain that…I read a lot and I read often. I have always been very interested in literature that is more of the nonfiction nature. I have read the newspaper for as long as I can remember, I loved reading magazines as a child, and still today I read every professional development book and article I can get my hands on. That is probably why I already have a copy of the book Reading Essentials in my personal library.  At some point, I picked it up thinking that it would help me as a reading teacher. If I go into Barnes and Noble, I go straight to self help books, education books, or nonfiction children's books. Although it may happen on a rare occasion, I am not the girl you will find sitting on the beach reading a novel off of the NY Times Best Sellers List. Routman suggests keeping your own reading journal or a list of favorites. I am not sure how my list would look. Maybe… The Greenville News, an article in Sports Illustrated, articles and information on the website for Whole Brain Teaching, parts of The Daily Five, parts of The Café Book, The Energy Bus, Owning a Golden Retriever, Guided Math in Action, Dr. Nicki’s Math Blog, parts of the Clemson Football Program, etc. These are just a few of the things I have read this week. I certainly see a pattern in my choices. So my question is, do my choices make me less of an “avid reader?”  Not by my definition!

I think about this a lot as a teacher. I know we want to encourage a love of reading to our students. However, I also know that every student is not going to love picking up a book and simply reading for pleasure any more than they will all pick up a pencil and love to draw. I do think the better they become at it, the more enjoyable it will be to them in whatever genre they decide is their favorite. I think my love for reading actually developed from a love of learning. I wanted to learn and be knowledgeable about as many topics as I could, especially about things that were personally important to me. With this being said, I try to include as much nonfiction as I can in my classroom collection of literature. I have subscriptions to several magazines as well biographies and informational books. I think my love for nonfiction definitely influences my teaching when it comes to choosing materials for my class. Of course I have plenty fiction as well because I realize that this will be the favorite for some students. My goal is to foster a love of learning to my students and to show them that reading is just another way to learn about any topic you choose. For them to know that as long as they have for reading, they will never stop have to stop learning!

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Michelle! I enjoyed getting to know you better through your personal connection to reading. I, too am one to read more non-fiction. I think mine is out of necessity and a quest for more knowledge, whether it be out of needs in my profession or out of my love and curiosity about my Tigers! I often tend to think I don't have time for a good fiction book. I have found over the years that holidays and summer break are a good time for me to expand my personal reading diet and read a fiction book. It actually helps relieve my stress when I can get lost in a character's life for a while. I challenge you this Christmas break to lose yourself in a good fictional story. You might be surprised that you like it...or you may hate it and in that case, grab a Sports Illustrated and never trust me again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle,
    You brought up some great points in your blog post about the importance of choice and the importance of validating informational reading. Variety is important and we know from recent studies that the majority of what adult readers view is considered nonfiction. Many of our students gravitate to informational texts on topics of interests and that in no way diminishes their identity as readers. I love that you made this connection with your own reading life and how knowing you appreciate choice and variety as a reader, you have worked to provide this in your own classroom library for your students. Thank you! Dawn

    ReplyDelete